Quantcast

Capella

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

fulcona

Years back there was a nice, lightweight, strong taildragger called the Capella. I believe it was out of Austin, TX. Duane Cole even used one for aerobatics. I'm looking for info/plans for that aircraft. Anyone have any info or contacts for that plane or know of an Austin EAA chapter that would have info? Thanks

flyinut

Long story short - Duane didn't fly aerobatics in any Capella aircraft. He was actually very upset when they built one of their airplanes with Duane's inverted name on it.

fulcona

Didn't know that. Nice looking aircraft (the fastback model) and I was hoping it would be strong enough for mild aerobatics

Victor Bravo

I know very little about the Capella, but I do not believe it is stressed for aerobatics. I am also not aware of whether the designer of that structure is an engineer, or whether he had an engineer involved. I'm NOT saying it isn't well engineered, I'm saying that somebody needs to verify whether it is before they go out and start playing around.

The only story I ever heard about the company itself is that there were some questions and issues with his ability to deliver kits, return deposits, deliver parts, etc. Others here may know a lot more than I do. I was fascinated with the single seat ultralight they built, called the Javelin. That was my only interest.

Last edited:

Turd Ferguson

Long story short - Duane didn't fly aerobatics in any Capella aircraft. He was actually very upset when they built one of their airplanes with Duane's inverted name on it.
I think nobody wanted to be associated with them when the owner was arrested for theft. Taking orders (and money) but not delivering kits, lol