Canadian Homebuilt in USA

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

galapoola

eBay: Christavia Mk1
Anyone have experience buying an experimental that was built, registered and flown in Canada, then registering it in the USA? Also, assuming everything else is LSA compliant, can you list the gross weight as 1320# on the FAA paperwork. Seller says 1500# but unknown if that’s listed on the Canadian registration. Not pursuing this bird, just curious.

Attachments

• 9CB2A049-E040-4233-8C73-8266B03DCBDB.jpeg
    9CB2A049-E040-4233-8C73-8266B03DCBDB.jpeg
    311.5 KB · Views: 0

gtae07

Importing homebuilts has been done, though I have no personal experience with it.
As far as restricting gross weight to be LSA compliant, that's a no. It's kinda dumb, but the FAA prohibited that to try and spur on development and sales of new airframes.

Tiger Tim

For reducing weight on an E-AB could you just design a mod that you say requires a lower gross then chuck it back into a test phase?

“I’m not entirely sure how this GoPro mount is going to affect spin recovery so let’s drop the MTOW to 1320 just to be safe…”

Tiger Tim

Dang. How about conveniently losing the paperwork and registering it as an assemblage of amateur built components?

cluttonfred

Supporting Member
Not if you want it to qualify as an LSA. The U.S. FARs are pretty specific:

Light-sport aircraft means an aircraft, other than a helicopter or powered-lift that, since its original certification, has continued to meet....

Umm, wouldn't that only apply to factory-built aircraft since experimental aircraft are not certified as far as I know?

cluttonfred

Supporting Member
More broadly, as I understand it, the key to registering an experimental, amateur-built aircraft is to be able to document that it was, in fact, amateur built. It's possible that the FAA would accept that an aircraft was registered as amateur-built in the first country as enough, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it. Builder's log, photo albums, magazine or newsletter articles, etc., any documentation is good tohave.

TFF

The gross is a problem. You can take away weight, you can’t take away the over LSA classification. If it’s in the paper it’s not going to happen. Lots of pre LSA planes value tumbled when that was found out. Same with stall speed.