• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Building aluminum tank

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddsrph

I am considering building a 18 gallon fuselage tank for my flying RV3. I have a good aluminum welder lined up have have a simple design in mind. Will buy welding flanges from AC and fuel cap. My question is about the fuel cap and portion welded into tank. My RV3 at one time had a custom low volume fiberglass tank for extra fuel capacity and has a covered hole in fuselage just aft of firewall. I want to uncover modify and use this existing hole. I can’t tell from catalog what cap and flange I need to accomplish plan. I want a flange on the removable skin that connects upper part of firewall to instrument panel. That will Slide or screw into the fitting welded into tank. In other words I want a flush fuel cap that will allow skin above the underlying fuel tank to be removed easily for maintenance and at the same time have a finished look. Rather than just a raw hole in over lying skin.

Back