• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Building a MiniMAX (Again)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lake_harley

Supporting Member
I built a 1100R MiniMAX several years ago. A friend of mine did fly it and then I sold it. My interest in avaiation was a on again, off again sort of deal for the last couple years. So, in a recent urge to build I started cutting and making some small parts for a modified Watson Windwagon. In talking to my friend who flew my MiniMAX he helped me come to the decision that would be a mistake. I would likely never be able to get a license to fly it since I have a failed medical over 40 years ago, and he wouldn't want to fly my creation because he is a charter pilot and has too much to risk if something would go wrong and the FAA would get involved. The Watson Windwagon just wouldn't be able to meet the ultraight stall requirements.

After a brief thought about a Hummel Ultracruiser (I started building one years ago and sold the project and all the materials I had) I decided to go back to something I like, it's simple, inexpensive to build, I know how to build one, and darn it, MiniMAX planes are just kinda cute, so a MiniMAX it is!

So, I'm off and running. I have a good supply of nice grained Northern White Pine 1 X 6 boards, a "starter" selection of aircraft plywood so I started by cutting about 600 gussets to get started building wing ribs. I guess I'm kinda slow, having about 9.5 Hours into it cutting gussets, but I was trimming all of the excess (per plans) from the gusset shapes to minimize weight. Light weight will be a major focus. My first MiniMAX came in at 246# empty and I intend to make the 254# Part 103 limit with this build using a 2A042 2-cylinder surplus engine. I already have two of them with prop hubs and a semi-appropriate prop, but I'll have to do some static run testing on the prop.

I'm not too good at taking and posting progress photos, but will try to remember to do that from time to time.

Lynn

Back