BEDE's Hidden thus Forgotten design - SUPER DEMOISELLE

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Sraight'nlevel

No one knows. It could have been a business decision or a technical decision.
The magazine advertisement is dated 1965 so you have to look at the context of
other projects he was involved with at the time. You can look at Wikipedia and
see his other models ..... if anyone here is familiar with editing the Wiki articles please let me know and we can add the SuperDemosielle info and pictures. A google search for the SuperDemoiselle now turns up the info contained in this forum thread.
From the photos I have, I see an original prototype made from welded steel tubing
that was redone in bolted together alum tubing.

I agree...it had an ample of power and seem that the fairing around the pilot was very different in each iteration.

----

He had started to design BD-5 already in 1965....maybe he did not want to produce many planes at the same time ?

Last edited:

Dillpickle

I'd sure like to see the wing/fuse interface. It describes the same kind of wing structure in the early BD4, and he usually used a bent center section for dihedral in his low wing aircraft and a straight section in his high wing 4 and 6 . This has a high wing with dihedral. He also favored speed and high wing loading. This would be a fun read. Can you take pictures and post them?

Gregory Perkins

I'd sure like to see the wing/fuse interface. It describes the same kind of wing structure in the early BD4, and he usually used a bent center section for dihedral in his low wing aircraft and a straight section in his high wing 4 and 6 . This has a high wing with dihedral. He also favored speed and high wing loading. This would be a fun read. Can you take pictures and post them?

Attachments

• superdemoselle3.jpg
    superdemoselle3.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 31
  • superdemosille5.jpg
    superdemosille5.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 32
  • superdemosille4.jpg
    superdemosille4.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 32

DaveK

Supporting Member
Considering the timing I wonder if this was a test mule of sorts. Fiberglass wing panel rib sections on a tube spar like the BD-4 but 2 years earlier. Didn’t the BD-5 have a v tail in original concept? This might have been a cheap way to try things out and why not try to sell a few too? Why pull it? Mr. Bede was a tricky fellow,I can’t think that way, but he likely had some reason related to other pursuits.

TFF

I think he saw it was not going to a rush to own one. He wasn’t going to tool up for ten planes. I have always liked the wing bucket design. With modern materials and design where only two or three sections made the wing panel, it would be pretty good.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looks like it was an ultralight, before ultralights (and part 103) existed. A large part of the appeal of ultralights is the freedom from regulation, but that wasn't possible in 1965.

Hephaestus

Could also be someone tried to buy the design / production rights - if all the plans were reclaimed.

Gregory Perkins

I think we all agree that there could be no technical reason on this type of plane
that could have stumped Jim Bede. I believe he had much bigger fish in the pan and greater ambitions and realized the burden of support would be much greater than any financial reward.
It is hard to imagine any other route to flight for the common man could be faster, cheaper, easier or safer at that time. For Jim, I think this plane was a toy and for testing concepts and his knee jerk reaction was to share. Earliest welded steel tube prototype shown with conventional tail

Attachments

• Bede-demosille-tail2.jpg
    Bede-demosille-tail2.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 14

pfarber

Possibly a patent issue with the composite 'shell' that later became the BD-4?

Nothing looks out of the ordinary... heck you'd confuse it for a modern ultralight.