Bearings question its out there

Discussion in 'Volkswagen' started by Robert Dingus, Feb 7, 2018.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Feb 7, 2018 #1

Robert Dingus

Robert Dingus

Robert Dingus

Has anyone ever tried to build the 4 cylinder and put clam shell bearings in the number 3 position.
    I know stock the number 1, bearing is at the clutch end, then number 2 is a clam shell bearing, then number 3 is slipped on over the nose of the crank, and buried behind the cam and distributor ring gears.

then the heat and shrink prop hub I put on.

just asking why or could we put clam shells from number 2 into number 3, the block pins match up, and they do fit in that location.

just tried to fit it for grins an giggles.

it would make overhauling the engine and bearings easier, except you still have to pull the prop hub to get that smaller number 4 collar bearing off.

Robert

2. Feb 7, 2018 #2

Pops

Pops

Pops

On a 1/2 VW build, I used the #1 bearing in the place of the #3 bearing. Machined for 3 thrust rings on each side.

proppastie likes this.
  3. Feb 9, 2018 #3

Robert Dingus

Robert Dingus

Robert Dingus

so it may be possible, to do then. only a ground driven test engine will do then, better safe there and test it out, than in the air.

Robert

4. Mar 3, 2018 #4

specter22

specter22

specter22

My HAPI/Mosler VW came that way - with both the #2 and #3 bearings being the two-piece clamshell type. If you look at your engine case halves, you may find dowel pin holes on both halves for those two bearings; according to Bob Hoover, "The #3 main bearing saddle in the RIGHT case half may be drilled for a dowel pin. This is to accommodate the split-type #3 main bearing that is part of the ‘high latitude' package - engines destined for extremely cold climates." I should note that I haven't flown behind this engine yet - however, it flew for a few hundred hours on this engine with that configuration before I got it and tore it down, and the issues the engine had were cylinder related. Bearings looked fine upon disassembly. I reassembled mine that way, and it's not something I'm worried about at all.

Pops likes this.
  5. Mar 4, 2018 #5

Robert Dingus

Robert Dingus

Robert Dingus

ok, so i has been done, the key is drilling for the second dowel pin in the opposite case half. i wonder if this modification is listed anyplace else. Or is it such a rare conversion, that only a few have been done. it just seems like a good upgrade, to get the crank in and out without taking off the cam, and distributor gears.

Robert

specter22 and Pops like this.
  6. Mar 4, 2018 #6

Pops

Pops

Pops

I agree. Must be a reason, VW had lots of good engineers and lots of years to change it. I also do not like the job of pulling the gear off with a large puller and after changing the bearing, heating the gear in oil and putting the crank in the freezer overnight so its nice and cold. And then someone borrowed the gear puller that I used for years and didn't return it and I can't remember who it was. I went and bought a new one but its not as good as the old one. Some days you get the bear and some days the bear gets you :)
    BTW-- I was up in your area 3 weeks ago at my grandsons wedding. He lives in Somerset. Same for my granddaughter.

specter22 and BoKu like this.