Battery packs - fire danger?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Hephaestus

That plan certainly wouldn't work for anyone flying electric aircraft in Ozzie at the moment. Actually one could probably have to add a fire ban check to ones pre-flight planning and just be prepared not to fly in summer.
Were talking a low likelihood occurrence. You see rc guys flying in dry conditions. Its something where you plan to manage loss of life but doesn't restrict you generally. You take the steps to mitigate the risk, and ensure you understand them... Not refuse to fly. Otherwise you'd be refusing to fly anyway as you're much more likely to have a carb icing incident than a battery fire by statistics.

Bille Floyd

You take the steps to mitigate the risk, and ensure you understand them... Not refuse to fly. Otherwise you'd be refusing to fly anyway as you're much more likely to have a carb icing incident than a battery fire by statistics.
The machine i want to place the engine/motor on , will fly
just (fine) with-Out power ; i'm just tired of running a 100-Lb
glider, + my weight, off a mountain, (on two Fake feet) !
And also :
Carb-icing , is a much easier problem to solve ; than , coming up
with a strategy, for dealing with a battery fire .

Bille

Last edited:

Hephaestus

Stats say... We have almost daily incidents with carb ice... We've known of the issue for a hundred years, it still takes down aircraft weekly. Doesn't sound like its resolved does it?

Billie. No joke - look at a jetcat turbine. Couple lbs + fuel. For a foot launch - that's what I'd look at.

Bille Floyd

Stats say... We have almost daily incidents with carb ice... We've known of the issue for a hundred years, it still takes down aircraft weekly. Doesn't sound like its resolved does it?

Your correct ----------------sorry ; i just got a bit temperamental !

BIlle