B17 navigators log

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by Joe Fisher, Feb 6, 2010.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Feb 6, 2010 #1

Joe Fisher

Joe Fisher

Joe Fisher

2. Feb 8, 2010 #2

vortilon

vortilon

vortilon

And I thought my life is rough. Thanks for posting that. Should be required reading in all schools.

3. Feb 9, 2010 #3

Joe Kidd

Joe Kidd

Joe Kidd

It humbles you to read this log/journal. My father's youngest, and favorite Uncle was a Navagator in B-24's, he never talked about it afterwards. I can see why now...

4. Feb 10, 2010 #4

Rom

Rom

Rom

During the war my grandfather worked as a machinist at the Sachs bearing plant in Schweinfurt. When the air raids occured he would man one of the flak guns. I believe they were 88s. The bombing destroyed the factory but production never stopped. Due to the area being a wine producing region, bearing manufacuturing was relocated underground in the vast wine cellers that dotted the area.
    My family's village was outside of Schweinfurt, so was not bombed, though bombs did fall in the surrounding farm fields. My parents tell me that they experienced air raids day and night during the later part of the war. During one of the raids, my grandfather was home sick or perhaps my grandmother would not let him go to work, all of his coworkers were killed manning the 88. He survived the war.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010