AutoPRSUs engine discussion

Discussion in 'General Auto Conversion Discussion' started by pfarber, Aug 29, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Sep 7, 2019 #41

mullacharjak

mullacharjak

mullacharjak

Hi. I am thinking of a reduction drive for a honda L13/15 engine.I need the specs for the rubber donut as they call it or the rubber flex coupling.I would be using a 72x42 wood prop.Any help would be appreciated.

2. Sep 7, 2019 #42

wsimpso1

wsimpso1

wsimpso1

It is not like these are standardized. Where they are used by a drive maker, the maker of drive has bought one of each that have looked about right, hopefully tested to see the spring characteristic and strength are adequate, and built the rest of the coupling around it. Then they run them to check that isolation and durability are adequate. Some are cut into pieces to run at different radii than originally intended to make suitable strength and/or spring characteristic...

Maybe you can buy the needed assemblies from the drive makers... and maybe they will only sell replacement parts to folks who have their drives.

Publish specs? These guibos etc are OEM parts used instead of universal joints in automotive drivelines. I bet there are no published specs on stuff like that...

Billski

3. Sep 7, 2019 #43

mullacharjak

mullacharjak

mullacharjak

Billski
    Looks like it would be difficult to choose the right one from myriads available.At least it is known that they are used in rear driveshaft car applications.Guess various hardness grades have to be tested to get a smooth running
    system without vibration.

4. Sep 8, 2019 #44

Sonny Furman

Sonny Furman

Sonny Furman

You might like to peruse my posts and photos of my Fleet biplane project, powered by a Honda 1.6 engine with homebuilt reduction drive. Yes, it utilizes a guibo joint to the input using a stock Mercedes rubber U joint which couples to the stock, but shortened drive shaft. It is very efficient with a ration of 1.6 to 1

5. Sep 8, 2019 #45

rv7charlie

rv7charlie

rv7charlie

How about a link, for lazy readers like me? :)

6. Sep 8, 2019 #46

rv7charlie

rv7charlie

rv7charlie

No argument on the rest of your statement, but the part I bolded is functionally backward. The FAA never makes the mfgr do anything. They make *owners* remove the item from service. Returning the plane to service with an upgraded new part is up to *the owner* (and *the owner's* pocket book). Safety related auto recalls, on the other hand, are near-universally paid for by the offending mfgr. (I realize that the ultimate price is paid by consumers, but the cost is spread across the entire future customer base; not borne by the individual car owner.)

Charlie

7. Sep 8, 2019 #47

rv6ejguy

rv6ejguy

rv6ejguy

Sounds cool. How many flight hours on your setup?

8. Sep 8, 2019 #48

poormansairforce

poormansairforce

poormansairforce

mullacharjak likes this.
  9. Sep 9, 2019 #49

rv7charlie

rv7charlie

rv7charlie

Thanks for the link; looks really impressive. I'll be asking questions in your thread.

10. Sep 9, 2019 #50

Winginitt

Winginitt

Winginitt

Sonny Furman :With regard to the redrive weight, it comes in right around 26 lbs. just a tad heavier that a few I have seen, but much more robust. The drive belt itself is a stock Harley 3" wide belt, more than capable of handling the torque, and the belt cogged gears are also stock Harley replacements giving a ratio of 1:1.9 Bearings are roller taper and off the shelf Timken. The dizzy conversion is actually not too complicated , but takes a bit of careful machining in order to keep things concentric. The stock Honda dizzy base is machine off, then the electronic 009 distributor is shortened and carefully fitted so that it extends into the cam drive the same depth as the original Honda but with the Honda drive lug substituted for the VW. Same rotation as Honda, no ECU or complicated hookups and with mechanical advance only. I will try to get a photo available. It has been checked out by my quality control officer, my 85 lb Greyhound, "Ernie"

Winginitt reply: Very nice work. Some people do this conversion thing not only because they "can", but for the love of doing it . Using ones own hands and ideas provides not only a unique airplane, but a unique type of satisfaction when parked next to a 1,000 cookie cutter clones.
    Again, "Well Done" !

mullacharjak likes this.
  11. Sep 11, 2019 #51

mullacharjak

mullacharjak

mullacharjak

Love the Fleet biplanes.I will look up the info posted by you.Thanks.