• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

?anyone make a suzuki twin-spark based aircraft engine (or ?is it a silly idea)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

al m

Hi all, couldn't find anything on a web search. I write about engines from a place of total ignorance. Please correct or steer me as you feel best.

Suzuki manufacture a range of engines for their "V-Strom" motorcycles that uses two spark-plugs ("dual spark technology" in their marketing parlance) to work together for each ignition; as I understand it a shorter wave-front of igniting fuel-air mix behaves more predictably, so a second ignition source is thought to create a better-controlled ignition. I believe other motorcycle companies have produced similar, in pursuit of efficiency: Royal Enfield previously worked with AVL of Austria to produce a "Twin Spark" engine.

I deeply admire those minds that identify the fruits of mass-production that are likely to be long-lived in the marketplace, and exploit them for the aviation-market's benefit.

From the pilot (or regulator)'s point of view, dual ignition piston engines are often felt desirable for redundancy.

I realise that re-engineering electronic fuel ignition alone, let alone a whole engine, for aircraft use would be a magnum opus. To ask that it be done in a way that creates a completely independent backup EFI circuitry is almost beyond the pale. It seems to me, it would certainly require the co-operation of the manufacturer.

Nevertheless...

May I ask if anyone knows of anyone trying such a thing?

I lament that I would never have capacity to contribute to any such work, but I gladly (and greedily!) read about anyone else's work in leveraging mass-production for cheaper aviation.

Links:
V-Strom 1050 Specs

My thanks to anyone who feels able to shed light on how/if anyone has developed this sort of thing in a way that would (or might one day) satisfy pilots of homebuilt aircraft.

(P.S.: I also love seeing mass-market robust all-weather graphic LCD displays making their way to motorcycle dash-boards, and look forward to their being exploited too ;)

Last edited:
Back