Quantcast

Anyone flying the AV-30 for their 6 pack?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

pfarber

HBA Supporter
I am 80% sure that I will run dual UV-30s for my primary instruments. Anyone have one? I downloaded the simulator and it seems that once you set it up, you don;t touch it.

One thing I did learn is that if you put it into a taildragger you might have issues as the AHRS will not zero because of the ground attitude (nose up).

Anyone?

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Did you mean to write AV-30 in your text like in the thread title? At $1,600 each, I don't think that's the solution I would choose for the type of plane that interests me (simple, low, and slow) but for a BD-4 it makes more sense. Still, why two in a side-by-side cockpit?

pfarber

HBA Supporter
Yes, AV-30. IIRC UAvioncs bought the original company and I think the original part was UV-30.

Two because I want to display the DG and AI at the same time for IFR work (my post about IFR GPSs is below). The DG will talk to GPSs for enroute nav and RNAV approaches.

Looking at steam guages there is no way I can come close to the cost even if I buy two. ATMOATOFLAMES is a lot of money. Electric parts (to remove the vacuum pump) are even more expensive. Why buy used when I can get brand new for less??

My panel is inching dangerously close to the $10k mark... I'm not happy about it, but I'm trying to shave off costs anywhere I can.