• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Another canard enthusiast -- with a VariEze, a Defiant, and pieces of a Cozy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raymond J

Hi folks,

I've been lurking on these forums for a while (there's so much info here, thanks all for the treasure trove!), but I think it's time I introduced myself.

I'm Raymond, I live in southern California, and I'm in the deep end when it comes to canards and Rutan aircraft. I own and maintain two: a VariEze and a Defiant, and I also have a barely-started Cozy IV project sitting in the garage. Their safety features (stall-free + spin-resistance) and looks were what called to me.

The Defiant has got most of my attention recently. I've only had it for about a year, and I'm working on becoming proficient in knowing and maintaining all its systems. Once I get its "base configuration" up to snuff, I'd like to start equipping it for convenient, long-distance travel. Future modifications I'm considering:
  • Detachable canard tips, to avoid the 2-person shuffle required right now to fit it into a T-hangar
  • Additional ferry tanks for 2000+ nm range
  • Copper tape HF antenna on wings for ocean crossings
I'm an electrical engineer at my day job, and I've got a keen interest in making sure my planes have good electrical systems and avionics. My most recent "big" project was a complete rewiring and re-avionics-ing of the VariEze (before and after pictures attached). It's now something I trust in IMC, and I like to say it's probably the only hand-propped IFR plane out there. :)

Pleased to meet you all, and looking forward to the discussions!
Raymond

Attachments

• varieze_panel_before.jpg
    varieze_panel_before.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 0
  • varieze_panel_after.jpg
    varieze_panel_after.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back