Alternator output

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

N804RV

HBA Supporter
I have a Kohler style 20amp alternator with an external rectifier/regulator in the Sonerai. I installed an alt. warning light/circuit and removed the analog volt meter to make room for a G-meter.

The old analog volt meter showed about 14.5vdc inflight. But, the alt. warning light indicates an occasional over voltage condition.

I put a digital volt meter across the battery terminals and went flying. It shows 15.3 - 15.4vdc when the over volts condition is indicated. Apparently, the alt warning circuit's over-volt threshold is set to 15.2 volts.

My question: How high is too high? I've heard that automotive type charging circuits can see as high as 16vdc.

Daleandee

How high is too high? I've heard that automotive type charging circuits can see as high as 16vdc.
My Cleanex uses a Yanmar 20 amp dynamo (PM alternator) with an external regulator. My charging voltage usually reads 14.7-14.8 after take-off. This works well with my Odyssey PC 680 battery as they recommend charging at 14.4-14.7 or float charging 8-10 hours at at 13.6. Most automotive alternators that I've checked lately will charge between 13.8-14.2.

Not sure what battery you are using as that will have a great deal to do with the charging rate. I can't answer your question for you but for me, yes, 16.0 is much too high. 14.8 is the limit I like but that is what works best in the system I have. If you have one of the newer technology batteries ... everything above is incorrect.

Dan Thomas

Check the grounding of the regulator/rectifier unit. A poor ground gives the regulator a lower voltage reference and it will increase the output to compensate.

Otherwise, the unit might be shot.

N804RV

HBA Supporter
Check the grounding of the regulator/rectifier unit. A poor ground gives the regulator a lower voltage reference and it will increase the output to compensate.

Otherwise, the unit might be shot.
Good call Dan! Put a new rectifier/regulator on it today. Took all of 10 minutes. Verified the case-ground was adequate. 1.8 hours flight time today with no over-volts warning. Little digital meter showed pretty steady 14.4vdc.