Airframe as Return Leg of Electrical Circuits

Discussion in 'Instruments / Avionics / Electrical System' started by GESchwarz, Sep 9, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Sep 16, 2019 #81

Dan Thomas

Dan Thomas

Dan Thomas

I remember those. Got my share of shocks off them too while fixing the TVs.

Those were the days. When consumer-grade electronic stuff was repairable. No more.

2. Sep 16, 2019 #82

rv7charlie

rv7charlie

rv7charlie

Yeah, when I owned a repair shop, I really worked at being a boss who could delegate. TVs got delegated. :)

However, I can still feel the hole that the 700+VDC plate circuit in a Marshall guitar amp blew in my finger.

3. Sep 17, 2019 #83

C Michael Hoover

C Michael Hoover

C Michael Hoover

The stuff I use is made by Harger (of lightning protection fame) and is a copper bearing antioxidant joint compound. Vaseline and the Permatix (as well as others) products are insulators and depend on the "wiping" ability of the contact to ensure a good contact. Thence the insulate the contact from outside corrosive influence. The product that I use enhances the contact as well as keeps outside corrosive influences out.

Further to "rv7cdharlie": Proper installation of a screw and ring terminal termination requires the use of a proper lock washer, rendering any potential loosening of the screw connection an infinitesimally low probably. Tab terminals do loose their tension no matter how much one wishes that they don't. I have trouble shot many, many problems to them over many years.