• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Aileron tips?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtfm

Hi,
I'm fondly clinging to the hope that I may be able to build a wing without having to cut into that lovely laminar flow surface to fit ailerons - hence my question about using the h-stabs as ailerons (in another thread). So what about this idea? Is this workable or not?

What if I built a wing without ailerons, and added wing tips which can swivel in pitch? This is just an embryonic idea, and I've not really given the detailed mechanics of it much thought. As a first take, the thought struck me that there would be wingtip vortices to contend with. So we could add winglets, and add the aileron tips beyond them. So the wing airflow would "end" with the winglets, and the aileron tips could swivel pitch-wise beyon that. Great moment arm, so they wouldn't need to be very large. Swivel the entire wing section, so more power than regular ailerons.

Comments?

Duncan

Back