• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Aileron Size

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Round Engines

Has anyone considered reducing the size of the ailerons on their Sonerai? I have a friend who has just cut his CX-4 ailerons in half as he said that they were too sensitive. He has fixed some alloy sheet to the inboard section of the trailing edge of the wing in the shape of the aileron and now has two 4 foot ailerons on the outboard section. Are the Sonerai ailerons too sensitive? I would like to leave them as standard. Your thoughts.

They are sensitive but not too sensitive in my opinion. One of the endearing features of the Sonerai is the snappy response to stick movement. The one thing I would change, based on pttim's recent experience, is the size of the vertical fin. My stretch has the standard square tail and there is no phase of flight that doesn't require rudder input.

Ed

Why not fly one or wait until you fly yours before you do something you may regret later. The airplane is very controllable in roll. The response is linear to the control input throughout the range. There is some feedback/resistance (desirable) and some positive stability (also desirable to most), it is definitely not negative in roll. The response is sporty, not too sensitive. Actually, this is a preferred characteristic, unlike a Cessna 150 or 172 that takes time to respond (and correct). If you have experience in Cessnas and then flew a two seat Grumman (AA-1, 1A-1C) you can relate to the same crisp desirable responsiveness. The full span aileron is not necessarily an indicator of sensitivity.

The rudder vertical tail issue is typical of a racing design where stability is sacrificed for less drag and weight. The fix is well documented and relatively easy to make in initial construction or retrofit. Changing the aileron span may create less than desirable effects and you be left with making your wings look like Frankenstein to remodify or having to make new wings. I guess that is why we build experimental airplanes, but the aileron control as designed is great.

I like the ailerons as they are and see no need to change them, control is intuitive. As for the vertical fin Ed it is wonderful. I flew an RV-8 which required no rudder once in cruise. Banks also required no rudder, mine behaves the same with no appreciable loss in speed.

I would not change the ailerons under any circumstance they are instinctive and work perfectly. For one thing the rod end attaches directly to the aileron. Change the length say inboard, and you seriously compromise aileron attachment...
Rudder: When I installed The J2200 engine at 130 lbs the engine mount need to be longer for CG reasons. That resulted in Negative yaw stability.In cruise Press full rudder to 20 degrees of yaw and release;the yaw indicator stays at 20 degrees yaw and you get prestall buffet.
Though not the first to do so I increased the height of the vertical fin and rudder by 6" and the chord by say 4". Also I installed a 4X34" ventral fin. The overall result is that the aircraft has neutral stability. I did not notice any real change in cruise speed.
I weigh 250 so to be able to fly with a passenger, I.ve installled the J3300 engine ay dyno 127 hp. The P factor may be increased so all 3 yaw mods stay on wing. If you remove the ventral fin and push on full rudder in cruise , and reslease the rudder pedal the ball indicator will love from 20 degrees to 5 degrees of yaw and stay there until correction is made.
My point is that when you change one thing in a Sonerai, it can and will affect other things, which are not expected.
To reiterate , "leave the ailerons alone."
Bill E

Back