After market liquid cylinders for Lycoming engines

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

TFF

In the last couple of weeks, someone from
The company posted on the Biplane Forum about some of their new stuff. I believe someone with a Pitts has them along with some Reno racers. Waiting on pictures to be posted. I think it’s interesting that it’s run out of Japan.

Dan Thomas

Good idea. I hope it pans out. I think an oil-to-coolant heat exchanger would be good too. Would keep the bearings, cam and lifters, and accessory drives cooler.

Tony Williams

I was working at Camarillo airport when a guy was testing "Liquid Jugs" (not sure if that's right) in the early 2000's.

Doggzilla

HBA Supporter
Wasnt the Rutan Voyager converted to run something similar on one of its engines?

I have definitely heard of this being done before.

galapoola

Great idea but begs the question, why hasn't this been done and become the norm before?

Doggzilla

HBA Supporter
Apparently Burt Rutan liked the idea enough to put on his own aircraft, but wanted it paid for evaluation, which is pretty normal. Experts expect to be paid, not to pay developers to evaluate their products for them. But it says a lot about something of Burt likes it, because he doesn’t tolerate BS.

That was a different company though.

Deuelly

Log Member
These were designed by Andrew Higgs. He's the gentleman that is also working on the Higgs diesel engine. It's a really well thought out design.

A couple years back I was talking to Andrew about running them on my Glasair but haven't got to that point yet.

Brandon

TFF

Complexity and enough planes to put them in to make a profit. Zero chance right now. The 520 in this VK was originally used to STC a 210. I think it’s the only solo. Usually bought to upgrade 400 Cessna series. Only the STC holder has parts. As Continental told my buddy, Oh that’s where that engine is. We have been looking for it. We don’t support it anymore. Click. I think when they quit it they would give you a new engine to get yours out of circulation.

Doggzilla

HBA Supporter
Cost, complexity and weight.
Maybe initial cost but operating costs and operating weights for a given range are lower. Just compare the range of the B-17 to the Lancaster. 25% difference in range with the same power and 65,000lb takeoff weight.

mcrae0104

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Just compare the range of the B-17 to the Lancaster. 25% difference in range with the same power and 65,000lb takeoff weight.
If you intended to demonstrate that water-cooled engines have a lower BSFC per pound of engine weight using that example, then your conclusion--which may or may not be correct--doels not follow from the premises.

Edit: oops, I originally said higher BSFC when I meant lower.

Last edited:

Doggzilla

HBA Supporter
If you intended to demonstrate that water-cooled engines have a higher BSFC per pound of engine weight using that example, then your conclusion--which may or may not be correct--does not follow from the premises.
I guess I should ignore all the experts and that the B-17 literally had a liquid cooled variant that greatly outperformed the air cooled in efficiency.

It always blows my mind how arrogant the responses can be from people who haven’t even bothered to put in the smallest amount of effort to actually read on a subject.

Doggzilla

HBA Supporter
In fact, the efficiency of the liquid cooled variant of the B-17 was roughly 50% better between the aerodynamics, pressure, and mixture advantages.

BJC

HBA Supporter
I guess I should ignore all the experts and that the B-17 literally had a liquid cooled variant that greatly outperformed the air cooled in efficiency.
That is positive proof that Lockheed engineers were better than Boeing engineers.

BJC

BJC

HBA Supporter
Does anyone have experience with aftermarket, liquid cooled, cylinders from ac-aero?
It always blows my mind how arrogant the responses can be from people who haven’t even bothered to put in the smallest amount of effort to actually read on a subject.
So what do you know about the subject under discussion in this thread?

Thanks,

BJC

Doggzilla

HBA Supporter
So what do you know about the subject under discussion in this thread?

Thanks,

BJC
That experts like Lockheed Skunkworks founder Kelly Johnson, Burt Rutan, and Boeing both found that liquid cooling allowed far better range and performance.

Which is literally one of the most basic concepts in aircraft design.

I even gave two examples at exactly the same operating weights and it would be completely obvious to anyone who wasn’t paralyzed with arrogance.

But I guess you all know more than the most successful engineering teams in aircraft history.