affordaplane

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

jandabane

I ordered plans for the affordaplane last weekend. I was told the plans would be here in 3 days. Its been a week. I think that Dave Edwards had a operation. Thats why I haven't seen the plans yet. But guess what? They have my 45 dollars.

Oh well hopefully I will get them sometime.

Has anyone else had this problem?:ban:

SArkon

Plans

Have you received your plans yet? I ordered a set of E-Plans and got them in, but they took three days to get because of the computer mess up. I have been looking them over and have printed them out. I have been trying to contact Dave to ask some questions, but have not received any answers to my E-mails. Now I read that he has had an operation I hope he will be OK. Do you have any word on how he is doing?

I see that you are in Tennessee, so am I. I am in the Cookeville area so maybe when we get these things done we can have a Affordaplane Fly-in.

SArkon
http://www.sarkon.net
:zzz:

BMWSID

I would like to help someone who is building an affordaplane, if I could find one within 100 miles of western NY Looks like it would be a rather quick build.

BMWSID

Affordaplane building

I stand corrected. I don't want anything to do with hepling anyone build a proven deathtrap. If anyone is waiting for plans for this, You will be best off to pray they don't come. You will be better off.

BMWSID

A-plane

While researching several plans and kit options, I still have not decided on a design. meanwhile, I have found a pro/anti Dave thing, there seems to be two sides to this thing. Seems there may be serious engineering/design problems with the A-plane? Where there is this much smoke, there may be a fire somewhere? Dunno, seems either you are pro A-plane, or anti Dave. I guess I am not well enough educated to make any judgments for or against a design, but there are extremly experienced people out there that (reportedly) have said that as the plans are, it is not safe. There are others out there that have built, flown,(I guess) and not killed themselves, at least not yet. I hope they do a VERY good pre-flight every time before they take er up. Sounds like there are more crashed ones than flying ones.
All this is enough for me to just about want to chuck the whole idea of building. One faction or the other has to be right. If I do build, it will not be an A-plane. I am not gonna risk my neck to try to find out who is right. Too bad this kinda thing happens. I really wanted to try to build something, and might yet. Too many other designs out there that have been around for a lot of years and proven time and again, than to get mixed up in someone else's ego trip/ personality clash.
From what I have heard, I may get some serious hate mail for even saying what I have here. Lets ask one big question---Is the now famous/infamous Dave flying one of his own designs? 'Nuff said.

gahan

to exposed

I also purchased a set of plans they came in about a week it sure looked simple but it is as simple a plane as you can build. I've filed it at the garage, when the bud's come over I let them look at something that is not as involved hoping to spark some intrest in building. I decided i didn't want to be that exposed to the elements.

roybierman

Hey everyone, Im thinking about building an affordaplane, does anyone have Dave's phone number?

thanks

Roy

Does anyone have an A-plane around central Nebraska?

vortilon

Re: A-plane

While researching several plans and kit options, I still have not decided on a design. meanwhile, I have found a pro/anti Dave thing, there seems to be two sides to this thing. Seems there may be serious engineering/design problems with the A-plane? Where there is this much smoke, there may be a fire somewhere? Dunno, seems either you are pro A-plane, or anti Dave. I guess I am not well enough educated to make any judgments for or against a design, but there are extremly experienced people out there that (reportedly) have said that as the plans are, it is not safe. There are others out there that have built, flown,(I guess) and not killed themselves, at least not yet. I hope they do a VERY good pre-flight every time before they take er up. Sounds like there are more crashed ones than flying ones.
All this is enough for me to just about want to chuck the whole idea of building. One faction or the other has to be right. If I do build, it will not be an A-plane. I am not gonna risk my neck to try to find out who is right. Too bad this kinda thing happens. I really wanted to try to build something, and might yet. Too many other designs out there that have been around for a lot of years and proven time and again, than to get mixed up in someone else's ego trip/ personality clash.
From what I have heard, I may get some serious hate mail for even saying what I have here. Lets ask one big question---Is the now famous/infamous Dave flying one of his own designs? 'Nuff said.
Airplanes crash for a variaty of reasons and the affordaplane is probably a half way good design and if built properly would give years of trouble free service. Now I say that talking thru my hat because I have never laid eyes on a set of plans. . Many of these kind of aircraft crash because they are over stressed by the pilot many of which are too young and dumb to realize the aircrafts limits they are flying. I once bent the upper rib cap strips on an aircraft I was looping. In all realty I had no business looping it. It was not intended for acro. I was young.

Some crash because of poor workmanship, some crash because the builder did a modification that brought the aircraft outside it's intended envelope.

My advice is research the accidents and base your decision on a well educated search. If you suspect a flaw in the design run it by an engineer with structural airframe experience. They are called D.E.R.'s and you can find one by calling your local FAA. They are glad to help for a small fee.

bmcj

HBA Supporter

travis1990

I agree with what vortilon said. Plus I have a set of the plans and the 2x2x1/8 inch square tubing on the fuselage seems very sturdy. It really doesn't matter how well the plane was designed If the builder/flyer does something he shouldn't do you can't blame the designer. As far as I know their are several flying and that should be good enough.

Planeguy01

I ordered my set of E-plans, got them right away, also have seen the pro/con debate, and i'll be building one to find out for myself. Also did find a video of one on youtube from Nov 2008, i'll try to post a link.
Also seem to be several others, haven't had time to go through them. Should be interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bobb

I have recieved the plans and intended to get started on it but I have 2 questions. First, I am 6'5" tall and weigh about 235. Am I gonna fit? I also have questions about the safety of the plane. I have never seen descriptions come from such opposite ends of the spectrum. You have everything from it is a great little plane to fly to it is a death machine. Where can a person actually get information as to problems that people have had with the plane. Just saying it is unsafe doesn't explain why?

horchoha

I too had paid my money for printed plans and did not receive them even after numerous emails.
A fellow member from this site mailed me a copy of his plans so I wasn't completely burned.
And thats all I got to say about that.

bob.shea

When I ordered mine, recieved them via e-mail right away. they also have a redesign for the wing ribs that I downloaded off their site. plane looks so similar to several other planes. I don't know if or when I will build it but I would like to build it at some point.
I don't know Dave or anything about the safty of the plane, but He did fine by me.

gahan

Interesting thread, Glad to see people buying plans at basement bargain prices again, ( Economy must be improving) I rember when I bought my "Affordaplane, plans they came in good order on"A" size drawings, neat and his frist e-mail sight was easy to access as long as you could find pass word within the DWG's, shortly after recieving plans I heard grumblings about service (2005 ?). and I think he had gotten a new web sight and maybe he got spammed or hacked "WHATEVER", I've spotted a few acceptible very lite designs . SAFE?? On any given day proabaly, but their is a reduced area of margin to avoid injury once they have left the ground. As a tinkerer I love these little planes , Keeps you occupied and the "BOSS", doesn't moan on cash outlay, they are great to develope the skills to truly build a more desirable piece of transportation in the future. At least one that will allow your spouse to collect on the preium she has kept up to date for the past 35 Years! Just enjoy yourself and try not to be overly critical of someone elses dream, (Wet or DRY) Tom Gahan

skeeter_ca

I have recieved the plans and intended to get started on it but I have 2 questions. First, I am 6'5" tall and weigh about 235. Am I gonna fit?
If you're not sure you'll fit build a cheap mockup of the seating with cheap ply using the inside dimensions in the plans. Sit in it and see how it feels.

skeeter

Latest posts