• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Affect of fuel tank position in wing to useful load?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brohawk

I'm looking at an airplane that is high wing and has the fuel tanks at the inboard ends of the wings.

The manufacturer has an option of extended range, which is another tank in each wing, outboard of the standard tanks. (I'm not planning on the extended range tanks)

I was discussing useful load limitations with a friend and he said that if the standard fuel tanks were moved farther out in the wings it would increase the useful load the airplane can carry.

I'm not an aeronautical engineer, and this concept is totally new to me. Since we have members who are experienced in design I figured I'd ask the question here.

If the standard fuel tanks are moved to a position farther out in the wings,

1. Would useful load be increased?

2. If so, how would one determine the effect (what would the new limit be)?

Thanks.

Back