• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

AeroCarb - back-ordered

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhflyit

FYI - I just placed my AeroCarb order with Sonex and received a back-ordered status - lets hope these companies are getting busy rather than the less desired reason for being back-ordered.

Open ended - this is what they wrote:

"The attached invoice represents a pending backorder. This order will be
shipped as soon as we have receipt of all the necessary parts. Once shipped,
tracking information will automatically be emailed to you via the chosen
shipper. We are unable to quote an estimated time of arrival at this time.

Thank you for your patience throughout the backorder delay. We appreciate
your business very much."

I just called Sonex and said that I was interested in buying one if they could tell me what the backorder time was, i.e. when they thought they could ship. They said they had absolutely no idea because the units "body" was backordered and they could not put any together and they had no guess at all as to when they could again start shipping Aeroinjector Carbs.

How come they can't call the supplier and ask when he was going to be shipping bits and pieces?? I don't get it.

I am not going to give them a credit card number and have $400 sitting out there waiting.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I "assume" the company is solvent, there are a lot of Sonexs being completed and I know a lot of Onexs being sold.

Matt, let us know when they ship yours, please. My second choice is the revmaster, about the same price, but I didn't like the way the throttle and mixture hooked up.

Kevin

That is strange - not to have an ETA for the part delivery. Makes you wonder if it's USA made. Getting commitments from Asia can be tough. This is a potential revenue issue for them.
I'm in no rush but will advise when it arrives.
On a good note my Xtreme shipped yesterday - I'll have to return the RDAC as the one coming as its 'sans' MAP. If anyone orders one make sure you get the MAP capable RDAC if you require it!

Kevin, you were right - don't hand over money and you get better information! ::)

They have my order and CC and I have no information!!??

Thx for the update. ;)

I think Sonex is solid financially. But who knows for sure.

I kind of like the Revmaster Rev Flow carb but I hear so little about them versus Sonex. I would generally rather purchase from a company that at least appears as though they will be around for a while. Of course Revmaster has been around for a very long time.

I wish GPASC would market a carb besides the Zeniths. I don't like the thought of having to plumb for carb heat which forces me to seek the throttle bodies.

Kevin

I have flown a 29mm and 32mm Aerocarb and currently have a 34mm Revflow on my plane. I have no experience with the Aeroinjector but the Revflow was easier to set up than my aerocarbs (sticky slides with the Aerocarbs. For reference, I never tried an Aerocarb (not recommended by the factory) with ram air and I have never flown my Revflow without it.

FWIW, I have spent about 8 hours researching carbs this week. There are only two other carbs I am considering outside of the Revflow, a Mikuni constant velocity carb or the Mikuni Super BN which is off of a jet ski. Its a floatless pumper carb. It has a butterfly however and would need carb heat. I don't think it would be very happy about ram air either.

In flight mixture control is the big issue when you start looking for carbs outside the norm. A CV carb once set up should take care of itself. The SBN has 3 mixture adjustments, 2 of which cascade into the high end range of the carb. It might be possible to hijack one of of the needles to accomplish in flight mixture.

Hi Jeff,

I have a question or two about your Revflow installation.

I looked at them hard at Airventure. What I thought would be problematic in the installation was the fact that the throttle came in and hooked up on one side and the mixture cable came in and hooked up in the exact opposite direction.

I have read on these post that typically on the throttle body injector/slide type carburetors that we should try and install them with the needle running fore and aft per the engine centerline i.e. like the crankshaft and therefore keeping the slide running fore and aft with the centerline of the airplane. All to keep equal distribution of fuel and air to each side of the engine.

What do you think? How are you mounted? Apparently what you have done is working very well.

Looking at the Revflow, if I could install it with the body of the unit running left to right, in other words the long part running cross-wise I could come in with the throttle on one side of the unit (left) and the mixture from the other side without stressing or bending the cables excessively.

Thanks as always for your time!

Kevin

Mine is mounted so that the throttle cable enters from the aft making the cable run straight to the carb. The mixture makes a 180 degree turn FWF to come back into the carb. The original Aerocab had to be done the same way.

Either one of the carbs needs to have the needle mounted as so that its aligned with the manifold junction or some type of mixing device just after the carb (which is a restrictor and may reduce power output slightly).

Also, with either carb a vernier mixture cable allows for more precise control of the mixture.

Okay, understand all. I was hoping not to have to make a 180 degree turn on the mixture... and instead come in from each side with a nice 90 degree bend, but apparently the 180 can be done.

Looking at Aerovees installation on their page under "throttle quadrants" they now can come straight into the carb with both cables from front to back.

The cable attach mechanisms are much better in my opinion on the Revflow, more substantial and less "go-cartish".

Thanks Jeff,
Kevin

FWIW, I used real aircraft cables for both mixture and throttle. I used a quadrant for the first few years (on the Aerocarbs). I made a linkage for the throttle that doubled its throw since the the Aerocarb has a really short throw. The mixture with a quadrant was either rich or off so I switched to independent cables. I did not need a throw doubler for the Revflow since it comes stock with a proper throw.

Gotcha, totally understand and appreciate the input.

I haven't ordered my carb yet, either Aero Injector or Revflow. Matt, I may be changing my mind, primarily due to the hookup, and mybe due to a slight more refinement on the Revflow. I think Aerovee is still using light braided cable like on a bicycle hand brake and a light weight screw-crush rig for attachment at the throttle end. I prefer the hard solid cable that Revflow uses.

They essentially cost the same.

Thanks again,
Kevin

Hi, Kevin.

I have an AeroCarb that was on my plane's previous engine. I must preface by saying the carb did stick on the previous owner ultimately causing a prop strike. It is my understanding that there is an easy fix for this problem, as others have had this issue with Aero Carbs. I currently have a RevFlow on the new engine and am happy with it.

If you would like to have it, we can work something out.

AirSkip

I have a question about the Revflow..... can you plumb direct ram air to it or are you using Revmaster induction setup that has the airfilter and Carb heat?

I'm familiar with RM's set up. I was curious if anyone has used direct ram air to the Revflo without RM's alternate air source?

daddo2 said:
I have a question about the Revflow..... can you plumb direct ram air to it or are you using Revmaster induction setup that has the airfilter and Carb heat?

I use a 1 1/4" PVC elbow painted silver with a flow divider. Last year I messed around with an elbow with a bigger mouth but did not paint it. About a dozen people asked me about it an took pictures. Nobody noticed it till then ;D

I am back to the original one since the bigger mouth did not help.

Attachments

• ram air.jpg
    ram air.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 54
Back