Aero Carb on C 90 engine

Discussion in 'Firewall Forward / Props / Fuel system' started by aeromike49, Nov 9, 2011.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Nov 9, 2011 #1

aeromike49

aeromike49

aeromike49

I am considering replacing the Stromberg carb on my C-90-8 TCM engine (experimental plane) with an aero carb (Sonex aero injector?) Does anyone have experience with that ? Is it an improvement over the standard carb? Reliable? What would be the necessary fuel supply line diameter? Any comments would be appreciated. Thank You

2. Aug 9, 2012 #2

Jonathan Tibbets

Jonathan Tibbets

Jonathan Tibbets

I have the same question, only I would install the Aerocarb on my A65 Continental. I would like to shelf the Stromberg in favor of the Aerocarb so I can adjust the mixture. The Stromberg does not fare very well in the high altitudes of Utah. Some time ago, I saw a comment on the EAA website that the Aerocarb was difficult to adjust the idle mixture and the cruise mixture. About the time it was working well, it would fall out of adjustment. There were no details on this problem and I am looking for comments from folks who have experience with the carburetor.

3. Aug 10, 2012 #3

millerdvr

millerdvr

millerdvr

Have you tried calling Aero Vee and asking them their thoughts? Their seem to be an awful lot of Happy Aero Vee and Sonex Customers flying behind them.

4. Aug 10, 2012 #4

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Another option (comparable to the Aerovee) would be the Revflow carb from Revmaster. Here's a web page with photos and a link to technical info. I don't own one and have no association with Revmaster, but I like that the Revflow makes it easy to add an alternate air source (i.e. carb heat). I am not convinced by manufacturers who claim their particular carb doesn't require carb heat (due to drawing air from within the cowl, lack of a venturi, or whatever their reasoning).

Mark

5. Aug 10, 2012 #5

steveair2

steveair2

steveair2

Another option I saw a Oshkosh this year is Rotec's TBI. They looked real nice. I would like to know how they perform. I'm considering one for my A-75.
    Customer service at there booth was not very good. http://www.rotectbi.com/

6. Sep 2, 2015 #6

Davidnixon

Davidnixon

Davidnixon

I have a fly baby with a c85 -12 that has a fresh major and about 12 hours on the engine. I have the aero injector on it. The carb has operated perfectly. I can't tell you how good it starts. Second or third blade every time hot or cold. I have good mixture control from ground to 3000 ft. I have not been any higher yet. I did have to adjust the fuel mixture when I first started the engine. The engine was running rich and putting out black smoke.i adjusted 1/4 turn to the lean side and have not touched it since. At present my fuel burn is about 5.3 gallons per hour at his time. Hope for a little better when it gets broken in. Bottom line! For the money and ease of instalition I am very happy with mine.

7. Sep 2, 2015 #7

Pops

Pops

Pops

Get you a Marvel Schebler and be happy. Been through the slide carb trip and will not go back.

Dan

8. Sep 3, 2015 #8

PW_Plack

PW_Plack

PW_Plack

The AeroInjector draws a flat needle out of an orifice to vary fuel/air ratio as the slide is opened. It comes with a couple standard needle profiles, and if you need to fine tune beyond than you find the baseline profile which works best, then adjust the shape of the needle by carefully filing it in spots where more fuel flow is needed.

It is theoretically possible to very closely match the mixture to throttle setting. But you'd need patience.