Aeolus-Aerodynamic Analysis and Optimization

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Royal

Anyone use this? I am just messing around with it right now but its a pretty powerful tool if you know what you are doing.

Attachments

fly2kads

HBA Supporter
Interesting! It looks very similar to OpenVSP (even the "sketch pad" in the name).

flyboy2160

Interesting! It looks very similar to OpenVSP (even the "sketch pad" in the name).
Uh.....Uh....the last time I checked, VSP didn't do any aero analysis, it just let you doodle a configuration that could be analyzed by something else.

That Aeolus looks neat-right up to the point where you need the fuselage. The pitching effects of a fuselage and canopy shape like an RV8 or Rad Dude's plane are not insignificant.

fly2kads

HBA Supporter
Uh.....Uh....the last time I checked, VSP didn't do any aero analysis, it just let you doodle a configuration that could be analyzed by something else.
VSP now has VLM and panel method solvers built in. I haven't gotten to the point of using them yet, so I can't provide any feedback on how well they work. You can still export to something else if you wish.

Hephaestus

Think it might be a derivative of VSP, given VSP is open source and all - looks like a bit less painful of a GUI.

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
Think it might be a derivative of VSP, given VSP is open source and all - looks like a bit less painful of a GUI.
VSP seems designed for people who enjoy the intricacies of computer modelling (including the fun of importing and exporting to different platforms, data manipulation, etc). If Aeolus is targeted instead at people interested in airplanes, it might be pretty useful.

It's a bit hard to tell much from the video with the nice music and the 50x actual speed clickology.

Hephaestus

LD-hippie2.png
It's some ways easier some ways even harder than VSP, I think it's definitely built on top of it.

Manual doesn't match exactly anymore. Building wings is definitely feeling harder - let me throw in the root and tip chord, airfoil select a 1/2span. Pretty much had to add profile repeatedly for each 2m section then delete out the middle profiles. Dihedral doesn't seem to work(?), That flight conditions definitely doesn't stick I'd reset it to 1800m 20m/s and 1425N weight repeatedly. But it throws this condition every time on the chart.

Curious about the LD chart above - how do you read it? (That was just my test playing with wing and tail for the primary)

Royal

I think using this and SimScale would be a pretty good combo if Aeolus works ok. Use SimScale to tune the wing to fuselage fillet. I want to see if narrowing the fuselage like the Sabb Gripen would help reduce drag at the wing intersection.

Attachments

Royal

There are lots of free programs out there. octoprint, simscale, many 3d printer slicers.