• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

ABC (Advanced Ballistic Chutes)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpd

I am in the process of getting my quicksilver ready to remount the engine and fly again for the first time since July 09. While working to move the parachute's handle from the right side of the aircraft to the left, I discovered that this chute appears to be different in opperation than most modern chutes.
The chute (manufactured by Advanced Ballistic Chutes) appears to be a mid 80's model, It sits in a sealed aluminum can atop the kingpost and probably hasn't been repacked in 20 years. Is there any chance that the chute is still good? How is the chute deployed, a rocket or compressed air?
1264025373.jpg

I also noticed that the Deployment handle is different then the BRS chutes I am used to seeing. It has 3 wires comming from the side of the housing that weren't connected to anything on the plane, what is the purpose of the wires, some sort of electrical switch for deploying the chute?
All Input appreciated
Chris

Back