• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

A new configuration tool for aircraft designers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inverted Vantage

Formerly Unknown Target
Hi everyone, me again. So I've been working on my independent study, and found myself doing so many repetitive calculations that I decided to make a spreadsheet that will do all of the heavy lifting. I'm offering it up here for a peer review and, if there are no major mistakes, for you guys to take and use as you want! That means private, commercial, public - I don't care, just let me know that you used it so that I know I helped - it'll make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside ;)

This spreadsheet will take you through designing a two place aircraft of up to three surfaces. I'm working on a three surfaces project atm, so it's currently got all the numbers for that, but it can do other things - for traditional configuration, the tail calculation is done at the very end.

CG calcs are at the bottom of the sheet. Feel free to say thanks or "you're an idiot, Jordan" in this thread :)

Also, if anyone wants to help me code, I'd totally love to put this into a more usable GUI (which I can design) - PM or post here for details.

EDIT: Just re-uploading to add some directions on how to use the sheet + a minor usability tweak. :)

A potential error that I'd like people to check is where I summed the lifting force of the wing - I summed the lifting force of each side individually then multiplied it by two, instead of using the total area. Could you guys just make sure I entered that equation properly? :)

Also, I've got a really good method for sketching aircraft configurations quickly, if there's interest in it after this I'll make a youtube video or something. :) It lets you jot down an idea for an aircraft in rough scale in under ten minutes with no math.

EDIT: Here are the permanent links to the latest versions of the drawing method and the spreadsheet application. Please read through the thread for development history.

PDF

Spreadsheet App.

NOTE: THIS IS A WORK IN PROGRESS. THERE MAY BE ERRORS IN THE CALCULATIONS, PLEASE DOUBLE CHECK YOUR RESULTS (and please report back if you find an error! :3)

Last edited:
Back