• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

600lb 200mph Sonerai 2L?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

N804RV

It’s an idea I’ve had for awhile now. It’ll have to wait till my RV-8 is out of phase one.

But, with Scott’s original 994SP starting to get a little long in the tooth, I’ve been thinking about a total rebuild. Id keep the original paint scheme and overall look in honor of Scott. But, I’d put new technology on the nose. I’m thinking a little more hp for better climb and acceleration performance. And a dedicated single seater with appropriate canopy and room for cross country baggage. Here’s the goals:

90-100hp @ not more than 3400rpm
Dual electronic ignition
Increase VNE to ~210mph
Increase aerobatic max gross to 950 at +6/-4G
Fuel burn ~5gph at 75%
Rate of climb at least 1000fpm
Endurance 2 hours aerobatic/4 hrs extended.

Aerodynamic improvements would include reducing cooling drag, improved wheel pants and intersection fairings, gap seals anything else I can find with tuft-testing etc…

What do you guys think? Any suggestion?

As I’m 65 this year and not yet done with the 8, this could well be my last project. So I’m gonna be pulling out the stops for the lightest, fastest and coolest <100hp every man’s single seat sport plane. (That is not a fire breathing F1 Racer).

I think it’s the essence of homebuilt airplanes you are talking about.

Range and aero clean up should be very entertaining and at least keep you busy testing parts for the fun.

Engines are relatively easy to play with. Going too far is always the issue with cams and compression. Do you have a prop goal that if you get to the power that it will bring it all together?

VNE and increasing Gs will have to do more about how strong the wing and other things are. From memory, so don’t ask for citations, I thought that the wing was really a 5.5G wing. How do you intend to modify that stuff?

Isn't flutter the big issue with Vne, making it a lot more complicated than just making the wing stronger?

You did not specify engine yet, but if it was a moderately massaged version of "whatever" I'd consider EFI as well, once one makes the leap of faith in batteries, alternators, & electrons to go all EI. :)
EFI could potentially lose a pound or so in carb and manifolds, and possible reduce or improve under-cowl space management/ requirements for same, allowing a slightly tighter cowl.

For single seat: recline seat and reduce frontal area.

Last edited:
You did not specify engine yet, but if it was a moderately massaged version of "whatever" I'd consider EFI as well, once one makes the leap of faith in batteries, alternators, & electrons to go all EI. :)
EFI could potentially lose a pound or so in carb and manifolds, and possible reduce or improve under-cowl space management/ requirements for same, allowing a slightly tighter cowl.

For single seat: recline seat and reduce frontal area.

Yeah, I'd like electronic ignition. But something like the Pmag. As far as fuel injection, I think there's a couple of aftermarket versions I'd like to look at. I'm not particularly fond of the idea of slapping a Rotax on the front of a Sonerai. Maybe a Jabiru if I could get it light enough.

Hi,
my ideal plane is along similar lines. My thinking is to adapt a Soneria 2LS for
- side-by-side seating (narrow as I'm not a big lad) or retain 1+1 tandem for speed/weight - TBC
- engine is BMW 1200 (~120hp @6000) with PSRU & Swiss style silent pipe (i'm deaf), coolant radiator behind the seats (= Mustang)
- taildragger (for grass strips in Europe)
- tapered wing with thicker Riblett foil for aerobatics, lower stall and efficient cruise, fuel tanks in wing on CoG

Just a dream until I retire in a few years ........

Hi,
my ideal plane is along similar lines. My thinking is to adapt a Soneria 2LS for
- side-by-side seating (narrow as I'm not a big lad) or retain 1+1 tandem for speed/weight - TBC
- engine is BMW 1200 (~120hp @6000) with PSRU & Swiss style silent pipe (i'm deaf), coolant radiator behind the seats (= Mustang)
- taildragger (for grass strips in Europe)
- tapered wing with thicker Riblett foil for aerobatics, lower stall and efficient cruise, fuel tanks in wing on CoG

Just a dream until I retire in a few years ........
I’m leary of the weight and complexity of PSRUs. I believe the weight of everything that hangs off of the engine mount (including flywheel, starter and exhaust) needs to be around 135lbs. And any added length that far forward is also critical.

4SP originally had a GP2180 with a starter and full size battery. It had a big old 121.5 ELT way back in the tail to bring Cg back where it needed to be. So, the hp gain from the bigger engine was lost to the increase in weight. I want more HP for same or less weight.

Back