• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

2180 or 2276

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chopndrag

OK not to start a war but I have a 2180 now with a blown cylinder. What is the drawback of getting the 2276 cylinders besides the obvious over machining. Will I notice more power at all it's only 5hp. Just curious since either way it's the same price.

I keep[ saying 2380, but what the actual size is just a 2276 which is 82stroke and 94bore. I had Scott at Hummel Engines do the case machining and provide the crank/hub kit along with other parts for my build. Was pretty cost effective overall.

After my 2180 ate itself I built a 2276. I kept the same prop. Really no noticeable performance change overall, but I can now run at higher maximum RPM (+50-75 RPM) in level flight than I did with the 2180 which would indicate it’s making more power. I just run at my normal cruise RPM (3200) and get basically the same speed and the engine isn’t working as hard.

If I wanted to mess with it, maybe an inch or two more pitch on an new prop would get me some more speed, but I don’t expect it would gain much.

I’m definitely happy with the 2276.

Good luck getting your plane back in the air!

After my 2180 ate itself I built a 2276. I kept the same prop. Really no noticeable performance change overall, but I can now run at higher maximum RPM (+50-75 RPM) in level flight than I did with the 2180 which would indicate it’s making more power. I just run at my normal cruise RPM (3200) and get basically the same speed and the engine isn’t working as hard.

If I wanted to mess with it, maybe an inch or two more pitch on an new prop would get me some more speed, but I don’t expect it would gain much.

I’m definitely happy with the 2276.

Good luck getting your plane back in the air!
I run a 54×48 now that I just got and was getting very good cruise. Just a hard one to decide when I hear the stories of going to big with the cylinders. Did you have to change the air fuel mixture or anything like that at all ? It's tempting just not sure .

I run a 54×48 now that I just got and was getting very good cruise. Just a hard one to decide when I hear the stories of going to big with the cylinders. Did you have to change the air fuel mixture or anything like that at all ? It's tempting just not sure .

Scott has me pretty convinced to go to the 2376 "2.4" motor next, which will require a change of crank and rods.

I run a 54x48 Sterba for reference. I’m using a Zenith carb and I made the normal set up adjustments (main needle and idle air bleed) as part of the 2276 install. I’m sure the settings were diffent from the 2180, but not significantly different.

Ultimately, and this is the great part about our experimental amateur built aircraft, the decision is yours. Do whatever you are comfortable with and keep flying!

I run a 54x48 Sterba for reference. I’m using a Zenith carb and I made the normal set up adjustments (main needle and idle air bleed) as part of the 2276 install. I’m sure the settings were diffent from the 2180, but not significantly different.

Ultimately, and this is the great part about our experimental amateur built aircraft, the decision is yours. Do whatever you are comfortable with and keep flying!
What kind of cruise are you getting at 3000 rpm?

I see used to see about 120 kias in level flight about 3200 RPM, with the 2180 Now with the 2276 it is about 120 kias at about 3150 ish. I set it around 3100 - 3200 and just fly… Since I put the new engine in I haven’t really done much performance work, other than I know it’s better. Like I said earlier, it’s about the same performance but the engine does not appear to be working as hard.

I have it down for condition inspection right now (great timing huh?) when I get back in the air I can get some runs at different RPMs for more info.

I wonder if 2276 and my 54 x 48 prop would show good numbers compared to the 2180
Hard to say. For me I am adding a programable ignition setup and eventually EFI, as I really want better control over fuel and spark. Ideally I want to shed some weight and add some power. I am about to send my pistons out to Embee for thermal barrier, dry film lubricant, and oil shed coatings and I might have the combustion chambers coated as well. I am considering piston squirters and some other mods to control heat and add reliability.

I see used to see about 120 kias in level flight about 3200 RPM, with the 2180 Now with the 2276 it is about 120 kias at about 3150 ish. I set it around 3100 - 3200 and just fly… Since I put the new engine in I haven’t really done much performance work, other than I know it’s better. Like I said earlier, it’s about the same performance but the engine does not appear to be working as hard.

I have it down for condition inspection right now (great timing huh?) when I get back in the air I can get some runs at different RPMs for more info.
I was seeing 140mph at 3000rpm so tough decision with it all

Back