• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

2 segments airfoil v.s. 3 segments airfoil for STOL

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pierre1

I saw the STOL Competition 2014 on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPcmb_lCeT4

It was amazing. But there’s one thing I don’t understand.

In my opinion, all the STOL airplane need to use 3 segments airfoil (slat, main wing, flap) like CH701 to minimize the taking off and landing distance, thus to be really competent in STOL area. Why some of them use only 2 segments airfoil (no slat)? The Clmax of the 2 segments airfoil shall be around 30% smaller than 3 segments airfoil. The fixed slat geometry is quite simple as well, so I don’t think it increases a lot weight.

Back