100HP at FL10

Discussion in 'Firewall Forward / Props / Fuel system' started by Jay Kempf, Oct 9, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Oct 11, 2019 #21

sming

sming

sming

It's a Ford-PSA DV6C (the 8 valves version) 1.6L from the gaz'aile project. For 10 more kg, you get twice the HP of the original engine (PSA TU3D). All the electronic injection is replaced by an old TDI mechanical pump (mainly old VW vans for enough fuel flow) from Bosch so you don't have to mess like on the raptor project ;)
    In the background of the picture, you can see the petrol version it's replacing (a PSA TU3/TU5E ? around 99kg for 80HP I think?)

2. Oct 11, 2019 #22

aeromomentum

aeromomentum

aeromomentum

Not at all meant as a correction. Just more data. The weight does not include oil. 3 quarts of oil are about 5.4 lbs.

Yes the quantity is plenty for cooling. Even our 147hp engine has under 4 quarts and keeps the engine cool during full power climb with no need for extra rich mixture or leveling off.

cheapracer likes this.
  3. Oct 14, 2019 #23

Terrh

Terrh

Terrh

Why do you not think the subaru engines are light?

Objectively, they are. Not like, way lighter than other options - but they've gotta be the lightest 2.5L 4cyl I can think of. I can easily move a shortblock by myself, and I'm not particularly strong. The heads are light too, and the intake manifold is as well. There's just not much to the thing. Reliability issues are my main concern with them, and I think I've got most of them solved.

The main issue with putting them in an airplane is they're kinda large physically thanks to the flat layout.

the G13B is a good engine as well, and available for under $3000 brand new from suzuki. Suzuki has lots of experience with building reliable, high RPM engines and the lack of displacement I don't think would scare me away from one.

4. Oct 14, 2019 #24

cheapracer

cheapracer

cheapracer

Umm because of things called scales, a recent invention, you may not be aware of them yet. Amazing things, you put your engine on them and they actually tell you how much the engine weighs, it's incredible!

2.5 Mazda L series is about 15 kgs lighter, 2.3 20 kgs lighter, as are a number of 2.0 to 2.4s of various manufacturers about.

5. Oct 14, 2019 #25

AdrianS

AdrianS

AdrianS

Where do old engine designs go to die?
    LPG Forklifts!
    When I was working at Toyota a decade or so ago, they were still making the late-60's pushrod 3K engine for forklifts. There's a physically small 1200cc I4.

sotaro and cheapracer like this.
  6. Oct 14, 2019 #26

cheapracer

cheapracer

cheapracer

3ks and 4Ks are a little heavy, Datsun A12 would be a better choice, and they are, or were, still being made in Africa for the still being made 1200 ute. FWIW, I think from memory Toyota's 5R is the longest, largest selling engine, from cars, trucks, forklifts, buses, generators, even as starter motors and air con pumps for very large diesel engine'd vehicles.

Actually the exceptionaly light 1200cc engine is the original Honda Civic EB1, getting hard to get though.

7. Oct 14, 2019 #27

Jay Kempf

Jay Kempf

Jay Kempf

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Ok, that's interesting. Maybe this thread is turning into what is the lightest 75-100hp NA 1 liter plus minus 200cc out there? There apparently is a turbo forklift version of the Datsun engine...

And of course whatever it is can't be rare and has to have a tuner culture around it or there will be no parts.

8. Oct 15, 2019 #28

samyguy

samyguy

samyguy

Who makes the laid down/over I4 ?? Is it Suzuki ?

9. Oct 15, 2019 #29

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Yes, they make a couple of them. Check out the Aeromomentum site

10. Oct 16, 2019 #30

samyguy

samyguy

samyguy

where else can you get them, do your own R/D

11. Oct 16, 2019 #31

Daleandee

Daleandee

Daleandee

Dan Weseman's 3.3 Stroker Corvair has been dyno tested with good results:

From the article:
    http://www.aero-news.net/index.cfm?do=main.textpost&id=1464f783-7cf0-4146-9a6e-997661625b6f

More info here: https://flycorvair.net/2016/07/26/3-3-liter-corvair-a-smooth-power-house/

FWIW,

Dale
    N319WF

mcrae0104 likes this.
  12. Oct 16, 2019 #32

Terrh

Terrh

Terrh

Wow, such condescension!

How were these engines weighed? Long or short block? Wet or dry? Compared to which EJ? Was it a longblock or shortblock? What version? DOHC or SOHC? Plastic or aluminum manifolds? Manual or auto trans version? With flywheel/flex plate or no? Open or closed deck EJ block? Counterweighed crank or no?

Any one of those variables can be more than the 15kg difference you mention.

sotaro likes this.