1/2 VW plans

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

oldcrow

So who sells the best 1/2 VW cut case plans? I haven't yet decided if I am going to purchase an engine or build my self. I have access to some old cases, cranks and heads ( not serviceable at all) to practice with before destroying something new. I would like to look at some plans to see if it is within my skills and equipment that I have/have access to. For those that have built their own, what special equipment is required?
As far as cost goes, I know that I can build a nice motor for less than $3k. So there is the incentive verses $4k+ for one already built. I have built many stock and high performance VW engines 1600cc to 2332cc and never had a problem with any of them. Except one, a 2180 had a bad cam (from the factory) that decided to break but no major damage was done, and a 1914 that had an oil leak around the jugs from a bad block. (a new aluminum block at that).
So anyway chime in with your thoughts of the plans that you have purchased from where and about good or bad points about them.
thanks, Ken

12notes

Lifetime Supporter
Log Member
Hummel Engines (Scott Cassler) sells plans for the 1/2 VW for $45. I have no direct experience with them as I have a Global 1/2 VW, but since a lot of questions about the half VW end with "ask Scott Cassler, do what he does", these are the plans I'd go with if I were building one from scratch

Pops

Log Member
I built one cut case 1/2" VW. Lot of machine work. Unless you have the equipment and can do all the machine work yourself, Scott's prices are good. If I were to build another, it would be the full case for sure. Less machining and for the larger oil supply.

billyvray

What's the weight diff? I would think it would be small as the "better" half wouldn't need a new mount. If it's bored like a Casler higher hp version it should be a fine little engine....right?

Pops

Log Member
The 1/2 VW makes a fine little engine. Love the sound. I never weighed the difference between the cut case and full case. Couldn't be very much when adding the weight of the engine mount to the cut case.

TFF

full Case and half case are supposed to be close enough in weight to be a virtual wash. Like everything chocolate or vanilla. Either or if it’s a runner, you have a winner.

crusty old aviator

I built a 1/2VW with the cut case using Gary Watson’s drawings, then another using Mr. Hummel’s drawings. Both were very similar, but the Hummel instructions were a great improvement, and Scott Cassler’s drawings and instructions are even better: professional, clear, and still available & supported. $45 is a reasonable price for what you get, but be prepared to do some serious machining, or buying the more difficult to machine parts...or buy one off the Barnstormers website, I see them come up from time to time for $2500 or less.

oldcrow

well i decided to FULL case method, as the difference is less than 4lbs. and only 3 inches in length. ordered my plans from Simplex Aero. should have them by Friday. going to try and see if i can mount a scooter stator on the front of the engine behind the prop if not i am just going total loss method.

Pops

Log Member
Just like welding, will fix anything except the crack of dawn or a broken heart. Someone told me that is where you use SuperGlue. :)

Or is it Ducktape or Ducttape ?

Marc W

It is 400 mph tape! Anyway that is what the Air Force crews called it back when I was jumping out of perfectly good airplanes for Uncle Sam. They used it to tape over hatch edges and such behind the jump doors. It was supposed to keep you from getting sliced open if you hit the side of the plane. I never tested it. It was the first time I ever saw duct tape. Baling wire was the all purpose fastener back on the farm.

Pops

Log Member
1915cc VW engine with stock top mounted carb. I removed the 25# shot bag with duct tape after first test flying it, didn't need it.

Hard to see , but it looks like the intake manifold went straight down in the head like a 1200 cc, 40 Hp. Also looks like a single port head. The 1300 cc and up with the single port heads, the intake goes down in the heads at an angle. Hard to tell from the side view in the picture. 1915 cc with single port heads is a engine combination.

Group Builder