• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

General Electric E-33 Electric Tach Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zoomzoooie

I have a General Electric type E-33 electric 4500 RPM tach I plan to use on my Teledyne 4a084 engine with the stock or slick 4220 magneto, with the following info:

Indicator Tachometer Electric
Single Type E-33 Spec No 21263
Mfg No: 8DJ13AKD Sub 33

I have not been able to find any information on it. If anyone knows any technical info such as voltage or anything else critical to using it and what it was originally used on and when it was made would be helpful.

I need to know what to hook it up to and how to hook it up and be accurate. Can it be connected to the magneto P lead? If not will it work from an alternator? Will it work with an automotive 12v alternator? I found a 70amp 3 wire alternator at 5.5lbs I could get. I don't know if it has a W wire, but that could be added.

I need a 4500rpm tach because the engine was made to run at 3600rpm constant and I will limit take off rpm to 4000rpm. I will be using a reduction drive with a 68" ground adjustable prop which can get higher rpms.

I really want to be able to use this tach because I am having trouble finding the all the mechanical tach drive parts for my engine and that would also require eliminating the governor(which I would have to get and tear apart) and replace it with a fabricated housing to carry the worm gear shaft from the governor. Plus the only 4500rpm mechanical tach I could find is a vintage C-11 and it's noisy and the needle moves in steps and lags and is possibly radio active.

Attachments

• IMG_2269 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_2269 (Medium).jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 296
  • IMG_2268 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_2268 (Medium).jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_2266 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_2266 (Medium).jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 210
Back