Witold Kasper

Discussion in 'The light stuff area' started by plncraze, May 1, 2007.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. May 1, 2007 #1

plncraze

plncraze

plncraze

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

I have been looking at some old Kasper articles in Sport Aviation and on TWITT's website and have wondered what came of it. I read the book put out by Meheen about Kasper and saw some more recent work done in wind tunnels that makes Kasper's claims appear to have been overstated.
    Does anyone here remember seeing Kasper do his tumbling in his Bekas glider?
    Has anyone seen his powered version fly or know what became of it?
    Are there any reports about how his split trailing edge or forward hinged flaps work?
    Kasper seems to have made some big promises but with the exception of the Kasperwing ultralight none have made it into production or even into another aircraft. Anyone know?

2. Dec 12, 2010 #2

gpen6

gpen6

gpen6

I know this post is old but I just had to reply.

I have all the names and places but to keep this short and so I don't have to retrieve my notes.

As you can read in various publications the powered version was crashed during a test flight, test pilot survived but the plane was beyond repair.

After an attempt at restarting the project and failing heath of Mr Kasper The remains of that aircraft where stored with a friend of Mr Kasper in Kent Washington USA.

Then with passing of Mr Kasper and his friends passing the son of that friend was the heir of the powered version (wood wing ,engine, instruments, seats etc) and along with all Mr Kasper's notes BKB-1 full size plans.
    He has all the plans/notes and engine/instruments but not the wing, it is sitting in my fathers backyard in North Dakota sadly it is in bad shape from the crash and wood rot. It was cut in half for transport but wasn't usable anyway. it's still there as of 12-07-2010.

I have detailed pictures of it. My father also has a set of BKB-1 plans.

You can see video of the BK 1 tumbling at Kasperwing Ultralight Aircraft, Aerial Photography and I have copies of video on VHS tape. My father had seen the BK 1 tumbling in Issaquah Washington before the airport was removed (I have many fond memories of watching gliders and parachutists there ) . Oh my Father is a Kasper nut and even has the Ultralight kasper wing Model C the model A&B's where production planes with kasper wing tip controls and weight shift the C model was a prototype with more conventional 3-axis controls. (as in spoilers and elevons) and was very heavy.

Mr Kasper was working on a propeller with Kasper style winglets but the man he was working on that project (along with struts for the flying wires on the ultralight) was killed in a car crash.

As far as his work the only real advantage he had was total Control and stability during slow speed flight the controls would not be useful for short takeoffs (very draggy) other slotted wings and variable geometry leading edge configurations work well for that and jetliners don't need to fly that slow.

The leading edge flaps make it so that the wing doesn't stall and creates a vortex that forms a tube that rolls behind the leading edge flap when deployed that is feed from the middle of the wing and progress to the wing tip exiting over the controllable wing rudders and tip elevons making the plane controllable and stable during the vertical Mush. This vortex also has the effect of making the airfoil a very thick one and keeps the air flowing over the wing just like the vortex in the back of a pickup truck.

The Kasperwing ultralight could also be set into this vertical mush through weight shift and is also viewable in video at the http://www.kasperwing.com/Kasperwing Stall.WMV

There are no leading edge flaps on the ultralight it is just pushed into a "stall" and held there with weight shift and the same vortex feeds the wing tip controls allowing the slow controlled vertical descent .

The TWITT and Mr Kaspers patents are all the info one need to understand all this.
    Aircraft Wing With Vortex Generation - United States Patent # 3,831,885

His stuff only works for flying wings because the vortex needs to exit over the control surfaces and standard rudder elevators aren't in the right place for that to happen.

If anyone needs more details let me know. gpen6@hotmail.com

3. Dec 12, 2010 #3

plncraze

plncraze

plncraze

Thanks for the information. I always wondered what happened to Kasper's aircraft.

4. Dec 13, 2010 #4

Norman

Norman

Norman

Is this the papers that Walter Serafin was given after Mr. Kasper died? If so the drawings of the BKB may be the original blueprints. The family of the other partners would be interested in seeing them. The Vintage Sailplane Association or TWITT would probably be intersted too

5. Dec 14, 2010 #5

gpen6

gpen6

gpen6

The name of Walter Serafin doesn't appear in my notes but the name of Mr Kaspers friend doesn't ether
    The son of that man is Wayne Smith who in 2000 was living in Burien Washington and Yes the copy of the BKB-1
    my father has are copies of the original BKB-1 plans they are full size and cost a lot to reproduce.

Here are a few of the power wing pictures taken in June of 2000.

WING6.jpg WING1.jpg WING4.jpg WING5.jpg WING2.jpg WING3.jpg

bryar and henryk like this.
  6. Dec 14, 2010 #6

plncraze

plncraze

plncraze

Great Pics!! It is nice to be able to compare these pictures with those in Sport Aviation when Kasper was building it. Do you have any stories about how it flew? I remember reading stories about how other pilots were responsible for wrercking Kasper's aircraft.

7. Dec 17, 2010 #7

Norman

Norman

Norman

Kasper's powered airplane was destroyed during a high speed taxi test or maybe an attempted takeoff. Whatever the intent of the pilot you can hardly hold him responsible for the plane jumping into the air and immediately stalling when it hit a bump in the runway. This has been an all too common type of accident for flying wings. The cause is usually either improper landing gear geometry of propeller placement.

8. Dec 17, 2010 #8

flinote

flinote

flinote

Hey Norm:

Have you stayed in touch with Stefanie Brochoski? I'll bet she would be grateful to find out where the remains of this aircraft are.

If you don't know maybe you should contact Andy or somebody in TWITT (I haven't been a member for some years now).

FYI for others not aware: Stefanie's father was one of the "B"s in the BKB-1 designation, and was largely responsible for the design and construction of this aircraft. Here's a link to the TWITT article on Stefanie and the BKB-1:

http://www.twitt.org/Brochocki.html

Bill Hinote

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  9. Dec 19, 2010 #9

Stefanie Brochocki

Stefanie Brochocki

Stefanie Brochocki

Hello,
    I'm a new member. I joined because I'm the daughter of Stefan Brochocki who was the designer of the BKB-1 glider which Kasper acquired after its initial testing phase of several years in Canada. There is an enormous amount of public misconception about this glider. I have made information available through TWITT about ten years ago. I haven't actively pursued this topic for several years due to time constraints and other committments in my personal life. I have researched many of Kasper's claims. I won't go into that now, but I urge caution in your 'consumption' of such. Meheen is now aware of many of the concerns about claims expressed by Kasper in his book. Much of the vaguely cited research in this book was based on Ed Polhamus' work on large, powered, delta-wing aircraft. I talked to Ed about that very thing. it had little in common with the BKB.

To answer your immediate questions; there were two powered aircraft, that I am aware of, that Kasper based on the Brochocki BKB concept. One was an obscure powered glider, the other a proposed production item that lost a number of people a fair amount of money. To my knowledge neither of these aircraft ever flew beyond a few yards. Kasper's use of the BKB concept in these and his Bekus adaptation of the BKB-1 design violated an agreement he had signed at the request of my father when he (Kasper) had acquired my father's share of the ownership of the glider. Interestingly, it is not generally known that Fred Bodek, the other B in BKB, continued to maintain his share of the ownership. This was among the many details that Kasper did not make known is his many publicized writings.

As for the tumbling, the BKB did indeed tumble. There is evidence only of nose-up tumbles. I have film footage of this. There is no evidence of it ever having tumbled nose-down despite Kasper's claims.

Hope this provides some delectable food for thought. I will not be able to post much as I'm heavily bogged down in some debilitating home renovations right now. I hope to be much more active in pursuing this topic in the future

Stefanie Brochocki

10. Dec 19, 2010 #10

Stefanie Brochocki

Stefanie Brochocki

Stefanie Brochocki

Hi Bill,
    Norm Masters and Andy Kechkes both contacted me. I understand Walter passed away. He had a lot of Kasper's papers, but apparently did not have a complete set of BKB plans. Walter would not share anything with me as he was a Kasper fan who would not accept various facts about the BKB origins. Andy Gelston was building a composite version of the BKB. My family had provided copies of the original plans in our possession. Strangely, we were missing the wing plans. When Andy visited Walter several years ago in Chicago, he found Walter's set did not include the wing either. I regret that I have not pursued this matter as I should have. I would dearly love to have a complete set. Time passes and the old crowd is aging or passed on. Documents and plans get thrown in the trash. We have lost so many pioneers and their work.

I do have some leads as to where some complete sets may be found. An old friend and former gliding colleague of my dad, Leo Schober, had a set. It may have been only a copy of the BKB plans with Kasper's Bekas adaptation drawn on top. But I believe it was complete when I saw it. Leo is sadly now suffering from Alzheimer's. His wife does not know what became of his many sets of plans (including the Ho IV and others). I will try to contact one of his sons who I think may (hopefully) have salvaged these items. Also, I believe Jim Geisler of Oregon had some copies. They appeared to be complete when I visited him years ago.

There is also the possibility that Kasper took plans with him when he returned to Poland before he died. There is a museum there that has a lot of his papers. I have never followed up on that.

Ah, it's so much fun to talk about this stuff again!

Stefanie

11. Dec 19, 2010 #11

Stefanie Brochocki

Stefanie Brochocki

Stefanie Brochocki

I think we may have communicated a few years back. I know someone sent me those exact photos you are showing. Was it you? I don't recall any names as it's been so long. I don't have more than passing interest in that aircraft. I would very much like to have a full set of plans for my dad's BKB-1. Let me know if that's possible. Somewhere I have a list of the plan drawings that I have and those that are missing. The ones I have are originals.
    Stefanie Brochocki

12. Dec 19, 2010 #12

flinote

flinote

flinote

Stefanie:

FWIW I donated my set of BKB-1/BEKAS plans to TWITT--they should be in the archives and hopefully Andy can provide details if you desire.

This set was purchased from Kasper and is in original condition--as I recall the separate plan sheets were duplicated on rolls of blueprint material which I left uncut.

I couldn't comment on whether they provide the missing information, they should be inspected for that possibility.

BTW I continue be fascinated by the possibility of a "modern" version of the BKB-1 but will probably never pursue it, given time and money constraints.

Bill

13. Dec 19, 2010 #13

gpen6

gpen6

gpen6

Wow I didn't now there where so many people watching this thread.

Just so everyone knows I'm James Geisler Jr. my father is Jim Geisler.

He (my father) lives in North Dakota now also when I talked to him about this he said I should talk about Stefanie Brochocki.

But I guess that's not needed now.

14. Dec 19, 2010 #14

Stefanie Brochocki

Stefanie Brochocki

Stefanie Brochocki

I couldn't find the video of the BKB-1 tumbling at the website you noted. You quoted BK 1, so I'm not sure what you meant. There seems to be some confusion in the literature over the Kasperwing which was an ultralight and the BKB-1 which was a tailless glider. The glider was designed solely by Stefan Brochocki of Montreal, Canada. Mr. Brochocki at the time was employed as an aeronautical engineer at Canadair Ltd. The Kasperwing design was based on patents surreptitiously obtained by Kasper on Brochocki's original drawings, design, and intellectual property. He did not inform Stefan about these patents. Mr. Brochocki only found out about them years later and inadvertently.

The patent you refer to references data previously patented by Mr. Kasper using data and specifications from the BKB-1 glider designed by Brochocki. I have attached a scanned image of a document signed by Witold Kasprzyck in 1960 before he changed his name to Kasper. The Certification Type Record for the BKB-1 registered for the Canadian D.O.T. will show that all Kasper's designs, patented or otherwise, were all based on this original type record data in contravention of the attached agreement. Thsi information is available through the Canadian Archives in Ottawa.

Mr. Kasper misled the US Patent Office in attempting to patent this data. Not only was the BKB-1 design published internationally by Mr. Brochocki well before these patents were filed, but the design concept in particular, its tailless aspects, wing design, and control system were presented on Mr. Brochocki's behalf at the 1960 OSTIV Conference in Cologne, Germany.

Mr. Kasper, although involved for a limited time with the manufacture of the glider with Stefan Brochocki and Alfred Bodek, took no part in the design. Mr. Kasper presented with no design credentials when signing on to the project and was known only to Mr. Bodek and Mr. Brochocki as an excellent glider pilot and instructor. Mr. Bodek, however was an accomplished aerodynamicist and collaborated with Stefan on the mechanical aspects of the BKB control system. It is that original control system and the wing planform that Kasper patented and subsequently modified for use in the "Kasperwing".

Our family requests that in future all references, publicly stated, to Mr. Kasper's "designs" should cite the originator of that specific wing design and control system as Stefan Brochocki.

Mr. Brochocki made no claims about the Kasper "Vortex Lift" theories, as yet unsubstantiated, and did not wish to to connected with them in any way.

I'm not sure if I attached the document image properly. I'm new at this. If it doesn't present in readable form, someone kindly direct me in the correct procedure and I'll try again.

Stefanie Brochocki
    Agreement Kasprzyck.jpg

15. Dec 19, 2010 #15

flinote

flinote

flinote

Well, I think I've made an interesting discovery. Look at this website:

Pliki u

--although it's in Polish, several things are obvious. First, there are 2 nice color images (stills) of the BKB-1 in flight. More importantly, if you go to the videos link you will find 2 vids; the first (shorter) vid is of a Kasperwing ultralight on floats and probably isn't interesting to those following this thread. However, the second one is more than 4 minutes of the BKB-1 in action. It's grainy and shows its age but is still fascinating to watch.

Most importantly, if you watch the tumbling sequence starting at :47 you'll see a tumbling first with a nose-up rotation, followed by a NOSE-DOWN rotation! I guess this proves that the BKB-1 would tumble in both directions.

Much of the rest of the tape consists of loops, chandelles etc. and not tumbling. I have the distinct impression that these maneuvers may represent unsuccessful efforts by the pilot to induce tumbling.

I invite others to view this video and provide corroboration to my observations here. I could be wrong and I don't want to introduce yet another error in the BKB-1 mythology.

Stephanie, do you recognize the pilot exiting the BKB-1 after landing, near the end of the video?

Bill

16. Dec 19, 2010 #16

Stefanie Brochocki

Stefanie Brochocki

Stefanie Brochocki

Jim,
    I'm so glad to have connected with you! My friend, George, and I visited with your father and family years ago in northern Oregon. We emailed for a while. George felt a particular kinship with your father over the many projects and ideas they had in common. He still talks about him. I'm sure you were there at the time so must have met you. I remember rolling out the huge sheets of plans in your front yard! Somehow over the years we fell out of touch.

Yes I know your dad as a real Kasper collector. I think he was not totally a true 'believer' in the stories, but I know he said the glider was amazing to watch. I can remember him describing it. I only wish I could have seen it fly. I was very young in the 50's and not interested in such things. I do remember seeing it in the building phase.

It must have been you or your dad who sent me those power plane photos which I still have. Thanks so much. I'm trying to get back into this topic again and will post in future. I have to finish up some intrusive home reno projects, then get my files organized before I can contribute anything coherently. Please extend my best to your family. Hopefully we'll get to visit again sometime soon.

Stefanie

17. Dec 19, 2010 #17

gpen6

gpen6

gpen6

Sorry Stefanie you posted while I was typing and didn't see your post.

the copies my father has are of the BKB plans with Kasper's Bekas adaptation drawn on top.

also I did met you when you visited my father in Oregon and he did send you those pictures.

When I just talked to my father he said it would be possible to complete your set of plans.
    send me your email address and he will correspond with you directly.

he also said that he in person saw Mr Kasper do both a forward and reverse tumble within 100 feet low to the ground at Issaquah

He told me that of the two BKB-1s at Issaquah the "Yellow" BKB-1 was lost and the pilot ( Curtis McPhail) killed doing an outside loop and the "white and red" one that Mr kasper flew
    sat for a long time and was rat infested but was attempted to be flown by Lin Emerick and snaped the spar - crashed and subsequently the airframe was burned.

18. Dec 19, 2010 #18

flinote

flinote

flinote

BTW just a sidebar here: One of the stills, as well as the video, shows how the pilot is consistently ABOVE the towplane (it's commonly referred to as the "high-tow" position among the sailplane guys), and there's a very good reason for it.

In swept wings, if you approach the downwash of the towplane while on tow the wingtip vortices induce a change in lift distribution along the wing of the towed glider, resulting in loss of pitch control. Help me here Norm (or somebody!) I think the result was a pitch down.

Bill

19. Dec 19, 2010 #19

Stefanie Brochocki

Stefanie Brochocki

Stefanie Brochocki

Oh-oh Bill, I ‘d better clean this one up fast. That video was sent by me to a fellow in Poland who was working on the BKB story. He was very curious about the tumbling and delighted to hear that there was footage. My dad got the old 8mm footage from Kasper. It was very grainy as you say, and dirty with the grime of years before I took an interest in it. I had a friend, a very creative friend whom I asked to clean it up and edit it. He cleaned it up as well as he could and the result is what I showed at a TWITT meeting in the late 90s. Unfortunately, the friend had felt creative enough to feature the nose -up tumble in slow motion (OK) and REVERSE (yikes!). I asked him to correct this, but a variety of circumstances conspired to prevent this happening. I should never have dropped this or let the video out of my hands. The Polish fellow was not supposed to air this version. It’s all my fault! And now the aviation world will take this doctored video as proof that the BKB did a nose-down tumble. It ain’t so, at least on this footage. The nose-down tumble is a doctored sequence and did not actually occur!

BTW the pilot is this case is Kasper. I have another film still on the old reel which I got from a fellow in Seattle, Gerald ?????, who was piloting the glider himself. It also shows a nose-up tumble.

Does anyone know what happened to Walter Seraphin's collection? He said he had some films. In fact I think he sent me one. I don't think there was anything noteworthy on it. He would not show me the one he claimed he had showing the tuft test evidence of vortex lift on the BKB. Harry Higgins, then Chief of Aero at Boeing, was present at that test and witnesssed nothing unusual about the tuft behaviour. I have his written assessment of that test as well as his own flight tests of the BKB. I have all the Canadian test records as well.
    Stefanie

20. Dec 19, 2010 #20

Stefanie Brochocki

Stefanie Brochocki

Stefanie Brochocki

Bill,
    This is my third attempt to reply. It keeps disappearing! The pilot is Kasper.
    Oh-oh Bill, I ‘d better clean this one up fast. That video was sent by me to a fellow in Poland who was working on the BKB story. He was very curious about the tumbling and delighted to hearthat there was footage. My dad got the old 8mm footage from Kasper. It was very grainy as you say, and dirty with the grime of years before I took an interest in it. I had a friend, a very creative friend whom I asked to clean it up and edit it. He cleaned it up as well as he could and the result is what I showed at a TWITT meeting in the late 90s. Unfortunately, the friend had felt creative enough to feature the nose -up tumble in slow motion (OK) and REVERSE (yikes!). I asked him to correct this, but a variety of circumstances conspired to prevent this happening. I should never have dropped this or let the video out of my hands. The Polish fellow was not supposed to air this version. It’s all my fault! And now the aviation world will take this doctored video as proof that the BKB did a nose-down tumble. It ain’t so, at least on this footage. The nose-down tumble is a doctored sequence and did not actually occur!
    Stefanie