• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

wing tools and drill

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

telix6361

Hi at All,

I've another question. For the wing covering I need 2000 CCC42 rivet and 200 CCP42 Rivet for aileron. Theese have 1/8 diam and I want to know If I had to drill with 1/8 drill bit and then use 1/8 dimple die or dimple process enlarge the hole?

So in case, if enlarge the hole , I had to use 3/32 drill bit and dimple die and after dimpling drill again whit 1/8 drill bit (*30)?

If the second option is right I also need clecos of 3/32 size.

Many thanks

MArco

The dimpling process absoutely does enlarge the hole, so use a smaller drill bit, experiment on scrap to find the right one. Pretty sure 3/32 is going to be too small, it can lead to cracking around the dimpled hole. The perfect size is the bit that will give the finished dimpled hole a diameter of .128 in, but not sure what drill bit that is. I think it is just a litter larger than a no. 40 bit.

I found only dimpler of 1/8 or 3/32 size . if 1/8 is size of rivet(also the hole must be 1/8) the only way is to use 3/32 dimpler becouse if I use 1/8 will be more larger and not ok for rivet 1/8 size (CCC 42).

I thinking to drill all with 3/32 drill bit , aft that dimple all with 3/32 dimpler and finish with drill bit 1/8 and fit the rivet.... could be right?

Ther's other solution or this is the way?

But the dimplier process will make one time both sheet? (ex,. wing skin and rib)? or can I dimple all hole of wing cover and aft all hole on rib ? and aft assemple and rivetting?

MArco

When dimpling for 1/8 in rivets you need to use the 1/8 dimple die. However, if you use a 1/8 drill the dimple die will oversize the hole during the dimpling process. Therefore, you need to use a drill bit smaller than 1/8, and I'm pretty sure 3/32 (.0937) is too small - it could result in cracking around the rivet hole during the dimpling process. You can't drill or ream afterward because the dimple die leaves the hole the right size, and to drill or ream after will just make the hole too big. The plans say to use a no. 32 drill (.120) but I found it to make the holes just a little too big. The max hole size for the 1/8 in rivet is .136 and no.32 left it it bigger than that, ideally it should be .128 to .130 after dimpling. I seem to remember that a no 40 bit (.098) was just a shade on the small size so I'm guessing a no 38 or 36 drill bit would be just right, perhaps a 7/64 (.109). Just experiment until you find the right one and let the rest of us know. And it is best to dimple the rib and wing skin separately and they will fit togeather perfectly.

HI,
Thanks for reply.
I've thinked that the pilot shaft on dimple die of 1/8 was 1/8 but I was in wrong.

I willl buy 1/8 dimple die and 36/38 drill bit.

Thanks a lot

MArco

The pilot shaft on my 1/8 dimple die is .125 diameter or 1/8 in, and is rounded at the tip. The rounded part enters the smaller drilled hole in the metal and stretches it out to 1/8 . And that was a no. 36 OR a no. 38 drill bit, not a 36/38 drill bit. :)

Sonex sells a $5 dimple die that uses your pop rivet gun.
The hole would need to match the nail.

dimple_die_2268.jpg

http://www.sonexaircraft.com/orders/accessories.html

Back