• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Wing to fuse gap

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cliffrosa

I attached a picture of the material that the original builder used to fill the gap between the fuse and wing, It is riveted in place. Not being the original builder and having zero experience working with metals/rivets how would I go about to replace it? I was wonder if I should drill out the rivets then re rivet it?

Attachments

• IMG_20130602_160019_140.jpg
    IMG_20130602_160019_140.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 93
I would take a #30 or 1/8 inch drill bit and carefully drill out all the rivets. Then I would cut a nice piece of aluminum let's say a about two inches wide to fit up to about 1/8 of an inch from the fuselage and then put a rubber strip of your choice on the metal barely touching the fabric. Of course, paint to suit and rivet the strip on. If unfamiliar you will need pop rivets, clecoes etc. If you have any RV builders around they can readily help you with this. You will probably want to keep the rivets on the same line as the original rivets, assuming he tried to catch the underlying rib, of course stay away from the spar...

Kevin

bobthebuilder said:
As a matter of interest, why does it need to be replaced?

It has never been replaced, once you touch it it falls apart and it looks really nasty. It is not just in that one location there are other spots around the wing.

Back