• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Why no Continental Inverted Systems?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VenturePilot

I'm curious why there aren't any continental inverted systems available? I've tried looking at the design differences and nothing stands out to me without having two engines sitting side by side to dig into. I've been wanting to build an aerobatic biplane with a 6 cylinder engine, more specifically an IO-550-G/N. Why... well because I have one. I also see other benefits of the design. They are fuel efficient, compact in their packaging, and would be really easy to cowl since no additional air scoop is required. The mags are on the front side of the engine which gives lots of options for engine mount length. There is no big flywheel and low hanging alternator to build a nose bowl around.

I asked Raven and they said "Maybe" but didn't sound interested in going any further with it. I have no experience with installing or working with a Raven/Christen inverted system so maybe there is an obvious answer other than "because there hasn't been any demand for it".

Back