• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

which plane(s)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdm3

I'm interested in how you fellows decided what to build. I own the plans for 3 airplanes Sonerai II, Double Eagle (Milholland) and Cygnet SF2a. I want to build all three but... I can't be the only one who considered multiple plan sets.

So I'm 53, not independently wealthy but can budget a build. I've narrowed the build to the Sonerai and DE. I like them both but really desire the SII. However the DE is a more simple aircraft and therefore potentially easier and less expensive build. But then I wonder if I have more than one build in me. I look forward to the actual build but if it takes me 5 years or more (I'm full time employed) to build a DE would I ever get to the Sonerai?

I'm currently learning to weld and hope to begin an air frame at the first of the year (my first child, daughter, is getting married in November so budgeting for that this year).

I'm mechanically inclined. Have rebuilt engines (automobile and motorcycle) and have rebuilt several basket case bikes and really look forward to building an airplane. So how did you decide what to build? Give me some insight here.

Oh and thanks for this site. Lots of good information here.

Thanks,
David

Double Eagle:

• VW @ 60-65hp
    Stall 35 mph
    Cruise 70
    High Wing Parasol
    Empty Weight 385 lbs
    Gross weight 900 lbs

Sonerai II:

• VW 60 -80 hp
    Stall 55mph
    Cruise 120 mph
    Mid-Wing or Low Wing
    Gross Weight up to 1150 lbs depending on engine
    +/- up to 6g (750 lbs aerobatic max gross)

2 very different aircraft. Personally, I'd be bored in the DE.

Assuming the building skills aren’t a factor, it really depends on the pilot – low and slow (except for folks like Les Harmon; high and slow), the DE wins… not so low, not so slow; Sonerai hands down. I like the Legal Eagle birds, but discovered a few years ago I don’t seem to enjoy building wood wings (which was a surprise to me, since I’ve enjoyed wood boats…).

I have always been an almost rabid warbird aficionado, since 1st grade 1968-69! I remember my best bud's dad was an A4 Viet Nam combat vet/Naval Aviator, and took all we little tykes to the Norfolk VA station to see some ships and planes. He had to practically drag me out of that A4 cockpit when my turn was finished! LOL!
Never made it to military pilot school but would still give my left (you name it!) to be one! :eek: LOL!
I have been an A&P since 1987, and worked on everything from B727s, Biz Jets, AG planes, commuter turboprops, light twins & singles, one Christen Eagle, and now my own Sonerai 2L.
I have not built an airplane per-say, but I can tell you from vast experience, that "an airplane" can and WILL BE at times a very confounding and aggravating machine to maintain...not to mention the body contortions and uncomfortable positions and order of ops that is often required of the guy or gal turning those wrenches! Parts of my body are all but destroyed from a serious service injury, that has been further "aggravatted' by, many years of this specific physical and mental demand.
Just working on them to FAA and A&P/IA standards takes a great deal of commitment and grit...building one correctly will take even more!
You MUST firmly commit and stick to-it to the end, to succeed as an 'Airman', be it pilot and/or mechanic.
There will be MUCH TO LEARN. Many many things to do.
Think carefully & research/research/research before you launch.

I flight trained in Diamond DA20s, American Legend Cubs, and vintage J3 Cubs.
Like what you will, & everybody is different, but as for me...I tend to buy exactly what I want but also can afford, and I usually keep it for a long time.
I love warbirds and close approximations...but exist on a somewhat tight budget. As my late and dear father used to say;" Boy...ya got champagne taste with a beer budget." LOL! I love and miss him VERY much! He was a Korea war combat vet, ace automobile salesman, and the best dad a boy could ever hope for!
Go ask YOUR dad, if he is still alive, and just see what he thinks about it, as the very first step. Only God knows us better than dear old mom & dad, eh?

I WANTED, to build a brand new Titan T51 with a current all aluminum Corvette V8 engine...but had to settle for an (already built) 1982 Sonerai 2L.
No regrets so far. It is a lot of bang for the buck, its' quick and sips expensive avgas or premium unleaded like a hamster at a water bottle!
As for me...I prefer a scalpel to a butter knife, a Hornet to a Butterfly, ect., ect.
Be realistic with yourself, your commitment and your life plan for the next coming years if you decide to build.
I hope this helps you a bit. You have come to the right place (sonerai.net) for pro advice, genuine goodwill, and I would venture that the combined experience level of our members here could be a a hundred years or more!
Regs and good luck,
shocktrooper 8)

kennyw said:
2 very different aircraft. Personally, I'd be bored in the DE.

True enough in how they fly and perform. But part of this is truly a desire to build an airplane and there they are somewhat similar, though I think the Sonerai is a somewhat more complicated build. Both are tube and rag and vw powered. The wings are the big difference in building and I think the aluminum build is more enticing.

But you're probably right about the flying.

Thanks,
David

dcstrng said:
I like the Legal Eagle birds, but discovered a few years ago I don’t seem to enjoy building wood wings (which was a surprise to me, since I’ve enjoyed wood boats…).

This is a concern for me too. I like working with metal better, but the wooden wing isn't a deal breaker.

Thanks, David

shocktrooper said:
Go ask YOUR dad, if he is still alive, and just see what he thinks about it, as the very first step. Only God knows us better than dear old mom & dad, eh?...

Be realistic with yourself, your commitment and your life plan for the next coming years if you decide to build.
I hope this helps you a bit. You have come to the right place (sonerai.net) for pro advice, genuine goodwill, and I would venture that the combined experience level of our members here could be a a hundred years or more!
Regs and good luck,
shocktrooper 8)
Thank you for your service to us in the U.S.A.

Like you I don't have the benefit of asking my father since October 2013. He did however push my desire for flight. I soloed when I was 17 and purchased plans for a Pober Pixie with his help and encourgagement though he didn't fly himself. But college intervened and then marriage and family. I actually recently sold the Pixie plans to a guy in Australia who has a welded up fuselage but no original plans. Now he does. Anyway dad was a customer knife maker and I inherited his shop equipment, much of which will be assets in building a plane. So no advice anymore, but he'll still be a part.

Thanks for the rest of your advice as well.
David

I started my Sonerai project at age 68, and while family events have caused many delays these last four years, I feel I've made good progress. My fuselage and most steel parts are finished, and my wing components are ready for corrosion proofing. I've enjoyed the building experience from the beginning, and expect to continue to the end. I only wish I had started sooner. The sooner you start the sooner you'll know if it's for you.

I like going cross country, so as far as which plane to build, I feel if you're not cruising at 120 or better you might as well be driving the interstate.

Larry

Elviar said:
I like going cross country, so as far as which plane to build, I feel if you're not cruising at 120 or better you might as well be driving the interstate.

Larry

Driving interstates is something I certainly want to avoid! Seriously I'd like to have cross country ability. How much will depend on my wife's desire to do so. She not as keen as I am to fly to say the least but I hope she comes around. I'll still do some apart from her but I do enjoy her company.

Larry I'd have a 15 year head start on you. :) I need to make the most of that. Thanks for the reply.
David

Not sure your wifey will be real keen about the front seat of an S2, it has been my experience, most wifey like to sit next to their mate when flying. Perhaps a Sonex might also be a choice.

Pttim said:
Not sure your wifey will be real keen about the front seat of an S2, it has been my experience, most wifey like to sit next to their mate when flying. Perhaps a Sonex might also be a choice.
To be honest I'm not sure how much she'll be willing to fly. It's more my thing than hers (grandchildren (potential) maybe more likely passengers) but I may be surprised. I have coaxed her on a motorcycle several times. But if you're correct, then maybe the Cygnet SF2A should get more consideration. The Sonex is neat but doesn't appeal to me. ( I hope that's not heresy on a Monnett themed website.)

Thanks, David

My wife will fly behind me in the Cub, ride behind on the motorcycle and our tandem bike(where she plays Rear Admiral) but when I showed her the front seat of the Sonerai she said "I'm not riding in that thing" :eek:T

"most wifey like to sit next to their mate when flying"
true this would be my wife's first aircraft seating choice too.

Me, my wife and my kids when they were little tykes, have flown many many ('non-rev') flights together, when I was with Eastern, Piedmont and later US Air / US Air Express. She was not a huge fan of flying way back then, and clearly told me "No way Jose!", as to flying front seat with me in the S2L! LOL!
She is a tall, blonde haired, blue eyed, 5'9.5" beauty & we both share a heritage of ancient viking decent (Sweden). There is NO WAY (I) would want to be a non-pilot, stuck up-there in front in a Sonerai, and after 33 years together, I know better than to argue (much) with a "Viking Woman" :-*! HA! LOL!
She has been an absolute blessing to me. Would not trade her for anything. I'll just fly my little "Miss Scarlett" solo and love every minute of it! :)

FWIW, remember that John Monnett designed and built the first Sonerai in less than a year while working a full time job. Of course most of us take much longer than that, but build time depends on how much time you can spend working on your project. As others have suggested, it should come down to what airplane, in its finished state, will allow you to do the kind of flying you intend. Isn't it better to spend a few more hours in the shop to have what you really want? Just my 2 cents.
Scott

Back