• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

What's goin' on here?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Autodidact

:gig: I was looking on the web and tabulating Clmax for various different ULs and came up with Clmax from 1.8 or so on up to 5.3! (The B1RD supposed to stall at 15 mph) I'm trying to establish a wing area for a 500 lb gross plane that stalls at 27 mph and it seems (if I'm doing this right) that I'll need at least 150 sq ft and full length flaperons deployed to at least 30°.

TOWS has a line in it that goes "..effect of flaps on Clmax cannot be calculated." :eek::D So, using graphs of imperical data I figure I've (maybe) a possibility to have a Clmax of 1.7 with full length, sealed, flaperons. This is just a rough calc, but does it sound about right, or am I missing something major here?

I don't want to ruin things for everybody, but it seems to me that the specs for some ULs are a little fudgy, or I'm not understanding something!

Back