Quantcast

What is worth a few pounds?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

topspeed100

Banned
What I have found curious..that if you find one way to make ac lighter or simpler with less drag it affects everything..soon you are able to use lighter engine and again and again you see it all affects positive way lining up ahead of you.

Stits and Staib competed who is able to make the smallest ac in the 60s...soon Bede and Starr came along and Colomban in Europe and Ron Wheeler in Australia...all this had very positive impact. They got really small figures and all had records by now.

1. Colomban MC 15 is the world smallest 4 engine aircraft.
2. Stits has the smallest monoplane
3. Staib the world smallest twin
4. Starr the world smallest aeroplane
5. Bede the world smallest jet !
6. Ron Wheeler has the lightest monoplane

berridos

One safety feature I have spend some time grumbling about is on avoiding the lower corner of the firewall once the landing gear is shaved off.
In a crash the cowling breaks and the the hard corner of the firewall cuts into the earth and stops the plane abruptly.
In my design I really have no extra space for the legs and due to my landing gear design I need to stick to a abrupt edged firewall.
However one solution would be to build an engine mount, that on the structure below the engine, is rounded forward and would act together with some kevlar plates attached to the mount as a ski.

topspeed100

Banned
Can't you make the fire wall in two pieces and attached to each other with the fire protective material ? This would allow the lower portion bend inwards..just keep the feet higher than on the floor.

berridos

Ok, but I would like to keep the fuse flat plate area as small as possible.
I always have a glider configuration in mind.
On the other hand I could partially apply your idea as far as the pedal moves forward as I will use handbrakes and wont need the space for the brake cylinders at the pedals. At least that would smooth a little the firewall edge.