• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

What is the Best GoPro or GoPro-Ish Camera For Experimental Airplane Use???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomeBuilt101

I have an old-ish GoPro Hero 5 Plus and it is "just OK".

It is good because it has very good video quality however the battery capacity is only about 1+45 hours and the WIFI interface is a bit unreliable (it is hit or miss as to...IF...I can control it from my phone and this unreliability is so bad to the point where it is just irritating). If I do run the WIFI it makes the battery capacity more like 1+05 minutes.

So to get past this irritation I just turn it on and let it run and then hope it will stay powered long enough to catch all the action.

I could run a USB power wire out to the wing tip however to access the USB power port I would have to open up the weather sealed door and expose the SIM card and the USB port to the elements.

The SD car can only record about one hour of video so it would be good to have it feed a laptop and the laptop would be the recorder and therefore have better storage capacity.

So I wanted to ask the collective...what do you recommend for a GoPro camera? It does not need to be the brand name GoPro just something that can 1 Have good video quality, 2 Can be controlled easily (can turn off during the boring enroute phase and then started again when needed, 3 Have a good power port where I can run a USB wire and power it from ships power, 4 Be constantly connected to a laptop to acquire the video feed and not have to rely on a SD card that will fill up and stop recording.

Appreciate the help!!!

Back