What aircraft do you guys think were designed "perfect" from the outset?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Riggerrob

Light fighters only need to out-gun the neighbouring air force.
Ideally, light fighters look nasty enough that neighbours never try to invade.
Also remember that many air forces/armies/navies/police, etc. are really only intended to keep citizens in line. Many AFs never seriously consider attacking neighbours.

BJC

HBA Supporter
Don:

The O-320 powered version was a dog according to several people who flew them around this part of the country. When they replaced that engine with an O-540, it became a much better ag plane.

BJC

Mad MAC

Hawker Siddeley/British Aerospace/BAE Systems Hawk - won just about every open advanced trainer competition for 20 years and was flexible enough to be developed to carry 4000lb of bombs, sea skimming missiles, land on carriers etc.
Isn't that because they incorporated all the lessons from the Gnat which wasn't very right (well if you had to maintain it as I understand it).

Speedboat100

Light fighters only need to out-gun the neighbouring air force.
Ideally, light fighters look nasty enough that neighbours never try to invade.
Also remember that many air forces/armies/navies/police, etc. are really only intended to keep citizens in line. Many AFs never seriously consider attacking neighbours.

There are of course exceptions to this.

Last edited:

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
I suppose I should argue that no series production aircraft is ever perfect, there are always tweaks to be made, large or small. That said, +1 on the Hawker Hurricane despite early flaws because it was the right plane for its time and played such a crucial role in the Battle of Britain. Read Paul Gallico’s THE HURRICANE STORY and you’ll be a believer, too.

Group Builder