Wanted Want to buy air Hydraulic Riveter for pop rivets

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

buckaroo

No Chinese junk. No harbor freight junk. Currently looking at the economy ATS riveter which is $95 new and free shipping. Will consider anything below that.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Angusnofangus

No Chinese junk. No harbor freight junk. Currently looking at the economy ATS rivet guns which are $95 and $138 new and free shipping. Will consider anything below that.

Thanks!
I just happen to have an extra one, no snaps however. I will get the particulars on it in the morning and let you know. I also have several good drills, if you are in need of one.

buckaroo

I just happen to have an extra one, no snaps however. I will get the particulars on it in the morning and let you know. I also have several good drills, if you are in need of one.
Wonderful, thank you. As to the drills, I honestly don't know; this is my first build(from plans too). I have a decent cordless drill, a large dremel, and a drill press, so I think I will be alright on that front for now.

Angusnofangus

Hi, The rivet gun is a US Industrial Air Tool, 3X. I haven't used this particular gun, but tested it when I got it and it seemed to work as advertised. If I were you I would rethink using a cordless drill for building an airplane. Not that it can't be done, but as you will obviously have a compressor for riveting, I think you would find that an air drill will be less cumbersome, easier to handle, and more sensitive that a cordless. I say this as someone who worked as an aircraft sheetmetal mechanic for almost 30 years. Cordless drills are a great invention and certainly have their place, but I wouldn't use one as my only drill for building an airplane. I would take $30, plus shipping, for the rivet gun. I am in western Canada and don't have a clue how much shipping would be. I would have to contact FedEx and get a price.

rv7charlie

Uh...Is a US Industrial Air Tool, 3X a blind rivet puller, or a rivet *bucker*? '3X' sounds a lot like a typical gun for driven rivets.

buckaroo

Charlie, sorry for the confusion. I posted looking for BOTH a bucker and a puller. I changed the original post now that Angus offered his. Still looking for a puller.

Daleandee

Not to defend Harbor Freight but their cheap riveter did a nice job on my airplane on the pulled rivets. I didn't buy it, or own it, but I understand that particular one did nearly three planes before it crapped out. Used to be they would replace them for free (or near about) depending on how long you had it.

FWIW ...

Last edited:

buckaroo

They have some tools that certainly get the job done. I've purchased from them when it simply wasn't financially feasible for me to do otherwise. However, I'm at the point where it feels morally wrong to give so much money to China.

So, even though I'm on a tight budget, I'd rather spend a bit more and take care of a good American/European tool and pass it along to the next guy.

rv7charlie

Understood on the 3X riveter.

I've had an HF air puller for over a decade. Built a 30' wide one-piece aluminum hangar door with it, all the various pulled rivets hiding in an RV7 kit, dozens of other tasks both aviation and non-aviation related, and it's still working fine. When I bought it, I think I paid around $30-$40 for it and US made pullers would have been way north of $100. I found it to be good value for my money; YMMV.

As for 'giving' money to China, your choice. But I don't see it as a gift; I got value for my money. I don't doubt that a lot of Chinese products are subsidized by their government to make prices attractive, but TANSTAAFL; the books will eventually balance, and eventually the Chinese people will want our middle class freedoms along with our middle class money. I tend to look at that kind of stuff through a longer lens. I'm old enough to remember the same qualms about buying from Japan; you don't hear those complaints much anymore.

Daleandee

However, I'm at the point where it feels morally wrong to give so much money to China.
That I agree with 1000%. But those folks in China need jobs too and I'm not in charge of how the government sets up these things.

It sometimes irks me trying to find an item I want/need that is made in USA. I recently purchased some musical gear and finding quality electronics seems to always lead me overseas (Japan). I do have a Mackie mixer that I've had for a good while. It is an excellent piece of equipment, made in USA, that's built like a tank and has great quality sound.

buckaroo

I'm old enough to remember the same qualms about buying from Japan; you don't hear those complaints much anymore.
I don't mean to get into a whole political discussion in the for sale section :)

But, to address your last point:
Because the Japanese are A) now our friends B) not a major military and economic threat C) not purchasing ports and industry on every continent to an extent that is deeply troubling

The Chinese make fighter jets, I have no doubt they /can/ make good tools. But I have no particular desire to support their industry.

It sometimes irks me trying to find an item I want/need that is made in USA.
It's impossible/impractical sometimes. I buy optics from Japan. Amazing quality stuff, and great people.

Last edited:

BJC

HBA Supporter
If I were you I would rethink using a cordless drill for building an airplane. Not that it can't be done, but as you will obviously have a compressor for riveting, I think you would find that an air drill will be less cumbersome, easier to handle, and more sensitive that a cordless.
Thatone

Yup, what he said.

I encourage everyone building in glass or aluminum, to get a good high speed (3000 RPM) air drill.

Seems costly, but use it a few times and you never will want to use an electric drill again, unless you find a good high speed electric.

BJC

Protech Racing

I have used a HF air puller for a couple of years . Pulls the Stainless rivets a lot better than the Snap on Hand Job.

Daleandee

I have used a HF air puller for a couple of years . Pulls the Stainless rivets a lot better than the Snap on Hand Job.

Man oh man! I'd hate to consider building a Sonex with a hand riveter! "Come on man! Here's the deal!"

rv7charlie

I don't mean to get into a whole political discussion in the for sale section :)
I don't doubt that, but you did mean to share with us *your* political opinion. :)

Opinions are everywhere on this site, just like most others. Expressing an opinion that, for instance, wood (or aluminum, or etc etc) is the best material for aircraft will certainly elicit a differing opinion and discussion. Political opinions are no different. Sad thing is, we can't seem to civilly discuss politics these days. We'd be a lot better off if we could.

FWIW, I share some of your discomfort with the Chinese government's strategy & tactics, but they are far from unique; they are just bigger and better at it than a lot of other countries. I won't single them out for a stronger response than others doing the same thing.

buckaroo

I encourage everyone building in glass or aluminum, to get a good high speed (3000 RPM) air drill.

Seems costly, but use it a few times and you never will want to use an electric drill again, unless you find a good high speed electric.

BJC
Angus gave me a fair price on an old Sioux air drill, so I'll buy his. Though he doesn't know what RPM. I am curious how it performs. Never used air drills before.

Sad thing is, we can't seem to civilly discuss politics these days. We'd be a lot better off if we could.
It's true. I'm always willing too, but I know forums can get out of hand. And I'm new here so I'll try to not ruffle anyone's feathers yet :p
Man oh man! I'd hate to consider building a Sonex with a hand riveter! "Come on man! Here's the deal!"
Hand riveting seems a bit crazy when you can just buy a used compressor and riveter, then sell when you're done. Saves a whole lot of effort. But I have little experience, so maybe I'm wrong. It does seem like all the tool bundles come with a hand riveter.

rv7charlie

I've got three hand pullers (in three different configurations, that HF pneumatic puller, two or three bucking guns, a hand squeezer (and I'm about to buy a 2nd one to replace the borrowed one that my neighbor had the gall to take back) and an air squeezer. The only thing in that whole list that's seen very little use is the air squeezer, largely because its ergonomics and my ergonomics disagree.

Now, don't think my dollars exceed my sense (though some might say I'm short changed there, as well). The only ones bought new were the HF air puller and an extremely cheap HF manual puller on which I did brute force surgery to do close-quarters pulling. I've also got several air drills (all but one also bought used). I troll ebay and various sites like this fairly frequently, keeping my eyes open for deals on decent tools.

What most of us find is that as we build, we're changing out the 'business end' of all those tools so often that it's a major time saver to set up stuff like, a drill for #30 and another for #40 bits, a hand squeezer for dimpling and another for squeezing, hand pullers for 3/32" and 1/8" pulled rivets, etc.

You certainly shouldn't let a limited budget keep you from building; there are bucked-rivet all metal homebuilts out there that were built with a literal hammer and a piece of steel for a bucking bar. But if budget allows for it as you progress, I suspect that you'll get into tool collecting mode like most of the rest of us. ;-)

Welcome aboard!

Charlie

Daleandee

Angus gave me a fair price on an old Sioux air drill, so I'll buy his. Though he doesn't know what RPM. I am curious how it performs. Never used air drills before.

I see your post (#17) quoted me ... problem is I didn't say that ... BJC did. Not that I disagree at all, but give credit where credit is due.