• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

VW used by Sonerai builders

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fifidibosco

Hi all,

A question to the builders who use a VW engine.
Could you give your type of engine, displacement, hp and weight of your engine. (for the weight, please specify the accessories taken in account)
All other info are welcome...
thanks in advance
Phil

Sorry buddy I missed your post. I am building my own engine. I used Scott Casler at Hummel engines to perform the machine work and I bought the heads, pistons/cylinders/crank and Force 1 hub from him as well. It will be a 94mmx 82mm engine so 2276 total. I think you might have asked this on the FB page as well. I hope to have the engine come in around 170lbs.

Nobody use VW on Sonerai, really.....:confused::confused:

Sonerai 2
2276, originally GP. Alternator. 1Bendix mag, one electronic. Diehl. No starter.
(Look up their/Great Plains stated weight)
This airplane is a rebuild project. I have the heads off for rebuild.
I do not know isolated engine weight.

smt

I had two different VW’s on my IIL. The first was a Monnett 1850 Econo-V with an Electro-X mount and a press-fit prop hub, 10 amp alternator, Slick 4216 mag, no starter, a Great Plains secondary ignition, a top-mounted stock VW oil cooler, and a HAPI Ultracarb. The second was a mostly-Great Plains 2180 with a Diehl X case and a short taper-fit prop hub, 20 amp alternator, Slick 4316 mag, a starter, a Great Plains secondary ignition, a top-mounted stock VW oil cooler, and an Aeroconversions AeroCarb. Unfortunately, I never weighed either engine by itself. Obviously, the 2180 was heavier than the 1850, mostly due to the weight of the starter, flywheel, and the beefier Diehl case. Hope this helps.

1835 cc, 60 Hp, single Slick 4316 mag, Shrunk fit prop hub, Zenith carb, non-electic. VW oil cooler, 4130 tube engine mount and a Culver 60"x 26" wood prop. Total firewall forward weight of 141 lbs. Lot of effort to get the weight down.

Attachments

• DSCF0072 (2).JPG
    DSCF0072 (2).JPG
    321.2 KB · Views: 1
I use 2400cc, Slick magneto, Posa carb, 1:12 compression, no electric, hand prop
some videos on youtube, search for S1Juergen
with best regards from Germany
Juergen

Back