V4 1/2 LS

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

pictsidhe

Not made by GM, but just came across an interesting V4 based on the LS series. 1650cc, 150lb. Peak torque of 126ftlb. At a piston speed of 2500fpm, power is ~135hp at 5600rpm. Would need a redrive. I saw in an article that the crate engines are $10k.

Motus V4

mm4440

I have read that they are are still making the engines, but not the motorcycles. The price is a bit higher. they have similar features to an LS but are more compact than a 1/2 LS would be. Years back SCAT made a 1/2 sbc of 200 cu in. I do not know if they are still around. The Samson roadable aircraft prototype has a turboed Motus. With a good conversion, the Motus would be a great little experimental aircraft engine; light and compact.

John wadman

Log Member
I wonder how hard it would be to cut a block in half and rework water jackets, oil system etc. rockers, cams, all would have to be reworked.

pictsidhe

It's been done. The half VWs are air cooled engines that are basically sawn in half. Water cooling would involve welding up water jackets for a little more fun, that has been done too. The only one I can think of was a Merlin getting 10 cylinders lopped off...

Angusnofangus

GM back in the 60's made a 4 cylinder the Trophy 4 it used RHS bank of a 389 IRCC
You remember correctly. At one time I had a 1961 Pontiac Tempest with that engine in it. Don't remember much about it except it burned just about as much gas as if it was a 389 and the distributor had a rattle in it at idle, something to do with the advance mechanism I think.

pictsidhe

A direct drive V-twin 'LS3/4' is more like our size. 1540cc, 106ftlb. Maybe 120lb +rad if you make a lightweight manifold and pan. Stick a turbo on and it would be very appealing.

TFF

You always have the old Ford V4 like used in the SAABs and the Lancia V4s if you just need a V4.

CharlieN

You state this Motus motor is based on a GM LS engine, yet there is no dimension or part that is even close to any production GM engine.
This looks to be a clean sheet design if not shared tech from somewhere else.

pilot103

I just read an article this morning about the Ford V4 in the April issue of Classic Car, according to them it weighs 265 lbs.