• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Undercarriage mount in composite

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeryckZA

I am looking for a good way of mounting a retractable undercarriage into a composite wing. Imagine a conventional low wing retractable gear. The steel gear terminates in a near horizontal tube about 0.5" diameter. The steel tube then fits into 2 spherical bearings, one at each end of the tube. For example spherical bearing LS-8, bore=.5"
Imagine the tube is almost parallel to the wing rib in the direction of flight.

I've been told it's a bad idea to fix the bearings too close to the main spar and second spar because the vibration, twisting and tension needs flexing, mustn't be too rigid. The bearings must be attached with a lot of strength, obviously, but must also have some flexure to allow for the heavy impact loads on the bearings and steel undercarriage.

Any ideas, a sketch or cad sketch would be nice, and some basic design calculations would be useful. Does anyone know of a kit which has solved this problem? Not Lancair IV because their gear retracts into the fuselage like a C210. I was thinking more of a composite version of a BE A36, a Mooney M20, or a Piper Arrow.
Thank-you

Back