• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Turbo charging

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tom, I think your assessment is right on for the IILS, which is what I'm working on too. I haven't had a close look at the space created by the engine mount on a single place first hand, but from the photos it seems unlikely. I'm curious what kind of boost they are using to get to that 100hp figure. Here are some photos of the sonex setup I took at oshkosh.

Derrick

Attachments

• DSC05736.jpg
    DSC05736.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 117
  • DSC05739.jpg
    DSC05739.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 125
  • DSC05740.jpg
    DSC05740.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 97
It would still fit in Sportsman, but Sportsman will be broken into different categories as more diverse aircraft and engines get involved.

Drew at Sonex said they were using 5-6 psi boost during the ground tests.

Here is another interesting turbo-ed VW:
http://www.edgeperformance.no/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=16&Itemid=36

They say: "Turbo converting not only adds more power to youre engine, but
you will maintain power in higher altitudes during flight due to the
air getting thinner. Take-offs at high alititude airfields will also
become much more safe. Turbo also adds alot of extra tourqe
which gives you the opportunity to turn a higher pitch propeller
and gain both speed and climb."

radfordc said:
Drew at Sonex said they were using 5-6 psi boost during the ground tests.

Here is another interesting turbo-ed VW:
http://www.edgeperformance.no/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=16&Itemid=36

They say: "Turbo converting not only adds more power to youre engine, but
you will maintain power in higher altitudes during flight due to the
air getting thinner. Take-offs at high alititude airfields will also
become much more safe. Turbo also adds alot of extra tourqe
which gives you the opportunity to turn a higher pitch propeller
and gain both speed and climb."

Radfordc you were kind to them this is how they worded it.
"Turbo also adds alot of extra tourqe

witch gives you the oppertunity to turn a higher pitch propeller

and gain both speed and climb." Let's hope they can engineer better than they can spell. ;)

this sight may help they seem to have some nice products. http://www.chirco.com/
I have a link that I will post later, it seems this company has vw air cooled engines that are reliable up to 10000 miles and dont have problems with over heating even with driving around town. I will post it asap.

Back