Transponder & Encoding Alt ?

Discussion in 'Instruments / Avionics / Electrical System' started by planecrazzzy, Jan 6, 2004.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jan 6, 2004 #1

planecrazzzy

planecrazzzy

planecrazzzy

Hey Guys,
    I'm in the middle of class "B" airspace..(Mpls/StPaul)....So in order to fly out of a local airport I would need a Transponder & Encoding Alt...
    This is for an experimental aircraft....Kolb Firestar II , I have a 12volt battery....

I've seen some that I think would pair-up for a total price close to $1500
    in the Aircraft Spruce Catalog

Does anybody know where to get them any cheaper ...?

I don't want used....

And is their something that has both in one ? That would be nice...

;)

Gotta Fly...
    Mike in MN

2. Jan 7, 2004 #2

Midniteoyl

Midniteoyl

Midniteoyl

3. Aug 8, 2004 #3

planecrazzzy

planecrazzzy

planecrazzzy

Narco 155 Transponder w/AR850 Encoding Altimeter

I bought my Transponder... Setting it up and mounting it was a different story....Here's a page in my web site that has the process:

http://www.geocities.com/planecrazzzy/LSXXIX.html

I didn't realize how much there was...I figured,put a "hot" wire on it and mount it....wrong:confused:

But things are lookin good.
    Gotta Fly... (anywhere now)

Mike in MN N381PM

4. Aug 8, 2004 #4

Captain_John

Captain_John

Captain_John

WOW! Eastern has a GREAT SITE!

Note to self, save that one in the favorites folder!

Mike, can you see the face of the XPDR while seated? Is that the only place you had to mount it?

As we are on the subject of transponders and encoders, I want to discuss the differences in Modes C & S. On the www.avionix.com site they say the following:

The KT 73 incorporates all of the key benefits of Mode S technology, providing a direct link between your aircraft and the ground. Mode S gives your aircraft a unique address code for improved aircraft surveillance and reporting accuracy with less pilot workload. The KT-73 also has the ability to send and receive data link information, a major benefit soon to be realized with the advent of ‘Free Flight’, the air traffic system which offers the freedom to select your own path and speed in real time.

1) What more does ATC need than a discrete squawk code and why is this "UNIQUE ADDRESS CODE" necessary?

2) How does it lessen MY workload? I dial it in and forget it until I need to change it again, right?

3) Send and recieve data? My own path? Like asking for routing "Direct"? I can do that now.

Anyone?

:confused: CJ

5. Aug 8, 2004 #5

Captain_John

Captain_John

Captain_John

OK, so I seem to have answered question 3 ( and part of 2) on my own courtesy of their web site.

Connect the GTX-330 to a compatible multi-function-display for ADS-B and "TIS" (Traffic Information Service) data where available. With the GTX-330 you now can receive FAA Traffic Information Services (TIS), including location, direction, altitude, and climb/descent information of nearby aircraft on your GNS 530 or GNS 430 or other compatible display. The result is improved communication between aircraft and air traffic control (ATC), providing U.S. pilots with greater traffic awareness in busy terminal areas.

Building an airplane puts the entire pilot's knowledge base under a microscope, doesn't it! Man, I have lots to learn!

:gig: CJ

6. Aug 8, 2004 #6

Midniteoyl

Midniteoyl

Midniteoyl

Last edited: Aug 8, 2004
  7. Aug 9, 2004 #7

Captain_John

Captain_John

Captain_John

It is funny how you learn this sort of thing. Someone else is doing a certain portion of their plane and out of curiosity you become interested.

It seems that the more involved (in your own project) you become, the deeper the curiosity.

This is a very complex hobby!

Well, it ain't rocket science... YET!

:p: CJ

8. Aug 9, 2004 #8

Captain_John

Captain_John

Captain_John

Here is the Garmin with Traffic Info!

[​IMG]

WOW! I didn't know this stuff was available to us! Cool! I see that my avionics will cost more than the plane!

:eek: CJ

9. Aug 9, 2004 #9

StRaNgEdAyS

StRaNgEdAyS

StRaNgEdAyS

Some of the systems are too cool for words!
    I can see me starting with basic steam guages and working my way up the feild.
    Haven't you seen my design project? :gig:

10. Aug 10, 2004 #10

wally

wally

wally

Yep, you can spend a lot on whistles and bells.

I had a chance to tour the factory where ACSS (used to be Honeywell) builds their mode S boxes. They had a system working as a demo. The place is close to Deer Valley airport near Phoenix. We could see on the display all the airplanes flying the pattern at the airport a couple miles away. The computer color codes them depending on how much each was a collision threat. It can track and display 25 planes at once. Cool!

Used to work for Gulfstream, you should see the fancy stuff those pilots get to push buttons and turn knobs on!
    Wally

11. Aug 10, 2004 #11

Dieselfume

Dieselfume

Dieselfume

I was curious too last time I was paging through Aircraft Spruce and went past the transponders, wondering what the different modes were all about...

Sure would be cool to have your $50k garmin stack and an EFIS panel. Would be kinda overkill for a puddle jumper. But, he who dies with the most toys wins, right? :gig:

12. May 13, 2005 #12

Rhino

Rhino

Rhino

Another way mode S can lessen pilot workload and improve interaction with ATC is that it allows them to 'see' your aircraft type and judge your general capabilities without asking. I.e., they will automatically have a general idea of your ability to respond to requests for speed and/or altitude changes, etc. For Instance, they won't bother asking a C-172 if they can increase speed to 250 knots. While this decreased interaction and increased ability will often be transparent to the pilot, the potential advantages are obvious.

Then there's the down side. You may hear some pilots refer to mode S as mode 'snitch'. If you accidentally overfly the edge of a restricted airspace somewhere, they'll know exactly who you are (no landing and hiding in the bushes). To me, just the traffic awareness ability far outweighs any potential downside except maybe the prohibitive cost, but costs are falling nicely, so we'll see. I'm a long way from deciding my panel setup anyway.

13. Jul 18, 2005 #13

Rhino

Rhino

Rhino

Interesting news. The FAA now seems to be steering away from support for some traffic awareness technologies that they previously advocated. They are going to end Mode S TIS support at 23 tracons. Not a good sign, especially for those early adopters that bought such technology at the urgings of the FAA.

http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/newsitems/2005/050714tis.html

14. Jul 19, 2005 #14

Dieselfume

Dieselfume

Dieselfume

I was at an FAA seminar thing a little while back. I believe it was either a person from Seattle Center or Seatac Approach that said something to the effect of
    "it works great, when it's working. It only seems to be working half the time..." (Mode S)

Basically they said it was quite helpful, but the system wasn't reliable so they were reluctant to encourage people to buy it.