• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Thrust or Excess Thrust Approximation Formula?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scorchcode

So the other day I was bored and decided to make up a formula to approximate thrust generated by a propeller. It appears to work, although when I showed it to a friend they were convinced that I was actually calculating excess thrust. Now I'm not sure what to think, so I decided to post the formula here and see what you guys make of it.

gif.latex

F = Thrust force (N)
Pr = Propeller Radius (m)
Pp = Propeller Pitch (m)
p = Air Density (kg / m^3)
R = Propeller RPM
v = Aircraft Airspeed (m/s)

Keep in mind that this is just a general approximation, so it doesn't account for drag, air compressability, slip etc.

Back