• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

The Good Ole Days

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonL

A few post recently, have made mention of how hard it is to buy things needed, in order to enjoy the hobby, and in some cases a business, in the field of aviation.
Many people on this forum, are around my age (64), and will identify with what is being said.
First car in 1960, was a 1954 Mercury, with a 292 CI V8. In San Antonio, Tx. gas stations would have an occsional price war, reduceing 12.5 cent gas, down to 0.10 cents per gallon, a 20 gallon tank, took $2.00 to fill, and a trip to Houston, Tx. cost right at $1.00 each way. It was a struggle to keep that car going, as my first job out of high school, paid $125.00 per MONTH.

Just a few years later, flying lessons started, and as a member of the Red Wing Flying club, in south La.( we had three planes, 150, 172, 182 ) the hourly rate, including instructor, was $10.00 per hour ( Cesna 150 ). My flight instructor was a man named Jerry Tewalt ( curious if anyone knows about him).
Looking back on those days and the cost of things, as opposed to money earned, and where we are today, all thing considered, not much is different.
I feel that current information and opportunities abound, and that avenues of approach to almost anything someone wants to do can be found.

What most people earn in one or two days, now, is about what i earned in a month back then. All in all, it seems to be pretty much the same today as back then, just the numbers have changed.

I believe our recent fuel cost increase, and then the reduction, to current levels, was basicly a test of market, to see, at what price consumers will make drastic changes to their daily habits, of energy use.

Don't know if this will help anyone, get on with their dreams, of what they want to do. Your money will always go to someone, just try to make it flow to those, that supply what you need to meet your goals.

Thanks
RonL

Back