• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Thaheld IO-290 Diesel

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fadec

Before anyone gets too excited this isn't a new engine, just a historical curio that may be of interest to some folk here. I came across it in a book on the Stinson Voyager by John Swick.

The engine was designed by Fred Thaheld. The prototype engine was flown in a Stinson 10A around 1946 and was intended to be produced by Diesel Power Inc in California but at that point it seems to drop off the radar. There is very little other info on this engine and I don't know what its eventual fate was.

Air cooled, horizontally opposed, direct drive
Fuel injected
Weight 235 lbs without accessories
100 and 125 hp versions (at 2400rpm), from what I can gather the only difference between the two is in the fuel injection systems
Displacement 290 cu.in
Compression ratio 16:1 (but could still be hand propped apparently)
SFC is claimed 0.2 at cruise
Cylinders have Al heads and steel barrels with 1 exhaust and 1 intake valve per cylinder, pushrods with overhead rocker assy
Dry sump (though note sump in Popular Science link below)
Al pistons
Cast Al crankcase
Coffman cartridge starter and is said to start easily when engine is hot or cold
Said to have a much shorter warm up time than its gasoline comtempoaries

picture of whole engine here (skynet won't let me post the image)
http://books.google.co.nz/books?id=...CCQQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=thaheld diesel&f=false

disassembled engine image from Swick's book
Thaheld 001.jpg

Back