Quantcast

Suitable airfoil large thickness, high RE

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Speedboat100

At about 8 ft wingspan, models take on more man carrying traits than the model ones. Three foot wingspan planes have a certain characteristics, from there to five foot change some, five to eight moves some more, and eight and up start acting with their character. You have to get the plane big enough that the ambient surrounds are not amplified. Small model’s power available tends to hide a multitude of sins aerodynamically. A model airplane will fly; how it reacts for data collection requires a lot that would compromise it as a model airplane.

Yes I agree...and at this ( 8 ft or more spanning ) size you start to see many construction details better as well.

I have done several smaller models too just to see how it glides...and looks...to get a feeling that you cannot get from the drawings.

simflyer

NACA 23112 seems to have the reflex distributed along the camber line compared to 23012, note how the camber lines intersect at the leading and trailing edges. It’s just that 23112 camber line (red) follows more of an S-curve, slightly higher towards the front but slightly lower towards the back.
Also NACA 43013.5 could be good choice.

Retiree

Hi everybody
I am seraching for a simmetrical airfoil that has the particularity, that it is very thick (20%) and operates at high RE (7.000.000).
Hi Berridos,
Did you find a good airfoil? If so what is its characteristics?
Doug