• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Stretch -- I have to ask…

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcstrng

Has anyone ever successfully stretched a IIL into more or less a IILS configuration, and if so where was it most convenient (I have both plans). I did quick search but didn’t see a discussion right on point… [oops, SORRY... I see there was a discussion less than a month ago... ]

My IIL project is only tacked at this point – no turtledeck or front sub-structure…

Looks like it could be reasonable in the scheme of things – six inches in the fwd cockpit looks easy enough as the longerons are (at least to my eye) parallel, but the extra foot in the empennage may present challenges -- but just thinking out loud, so if it is a really dumb idea that sane folks shouldn’t consider; you won’t offend me…

The silence is deafening. I would think some one would have said something, good, bad or otherwise. But I guess not.

The Sonerai IIS I purchased has been modified some. It has a taller turtle deck to allow for a taller pilot. I know this was not your question. But it's all I have.

Tony

If this were a flying plane, I would suggest you build a new fuselage, then transfer over all of the salvageable parts. But if your fuse is just tack welded, then you may be better of starting over. For peace of mind, if nothing else.

O'Bill

Well, the one thing I don’t want to do is start over – that’s the one thing (in homebuilding) I’m really good at… Based on the advice, I think I’ll leave well enough alone.

My IIL will probably be mostly a single-place anyway, with a smallish, infrequent seat for the smaller grandchildren (and for the great-grandson; my shop buddy… ;D).

Back